Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Routerlogin.net digital certificate expired

Routerlogin.net digital certificate expired

I have an RBR40 that is blocking my wife's iphone7 due to an expired security certificate for routerlogin.net.  All other phones work fine.  I updated the Orbi firmware to the latest v2.3.5.32 hoping this would help.  Apparently this has been an issue since August 2nd, 2019!  I see others have had similar issues...when will this get fixed???

I spent all day troubleshooting this and finally tracked it down to this netgear issue.  Please tell me what I need to do to get it resolved.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions

Well, I finally got back to troubleshooting this issue and discovered that her phone was set to "blocked" on the router for some reason.  I changed it to "allow" and it's all good now.  Not sure how it got set to "blocked". It would be nice to get a more descriptive error message to help with troubleshooting.  Thanks for your help all!

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, Netgear's SSL certificate has been a mess since last August.

How is this "blocking" the iPhone?  Can the phone not access the internet?  If you open Safari and enter http://ibm.com, does the web page not open?

Message 2 of 14

Correct, the phone cannot connect to the internet using wifi.  Any website it attempts to open results in a "err_ssl_protocol_error", which I was able to trace to the expired security certificate.

Message 3 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Is there an option in tiny print somewhere to "ignore the warning, go to the site"?
Message 4 of 14
Caligatio
Aspirant

The self-signed certificate for the admin interface (i.e. routerlogin.net) should in no way be impacting browsing to public websites, even if it's expired.

*Every* website is giving you a err_ssl_protocol_error error but only on your wife's iPhone 7?

Message 5 of 14

Nope, it's a dead end.  Attached are a couple of screenshots of Chrome.

Message 6 of 14

Another screen shot.

Message 7 of 14

Yes, when using the Safari browser I can trace it down to the expired certificate for routerlogin.net.  

Message 8 of 14
Jetdrive
Luminary

Does the same thing happen if you use Chrome for IOS?

Message 9 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@farmboy3000 wrote:

Another screen shot.

These screen shots are puzzling.  They seem to show the iPhone attached to AT&T LTE, not to WiFi.  At least, I do not see the typical "WiFi bars" anywhere at the top. https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/bars/status-bars/ 

Message 10 of 14

Yes, same error message.

Message 11 of 14
Caligatio
Aspirant

Can you explain what you mean by you traced it down to the certificate using Safari?  Your screenshots show non-TLS related error messages and, as another posted already commented, it appears you're not even connected to wifi.

Message 12 of 14

Good catch...I hadnt noticed that.  Apparently if you turn on wifi on the iphone, it doesn't connect automatically.  (I'm a Samsung user so I'm still learning the iphone).  When I choose the wifi connection to use, the WiFi bars show up and I get a slightly differnet error.  Both browsers error out with "took too long to respond" (Chrome) or "server stopped responding" (Safari).  I'll try to troubleshoot more tonight when my wife gets back from work.  

Message 13 of 14

Well, I finally got back to troubleshooting this issue and discovered that her phone was set to "blocked" on the router for some reason.  I changed it to "allow" and it's all good now.  Not sure how it got set to "blocked". It would be nice to get a more descriptive error message to help with troubleshooting.  Thanks for your help all!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7