Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SSH into Orbi - RBR850

rawb1
Aspirant

SSH into Orbi - RBR850

Hi all:
BTW:  Model field in the submission form won't allow me to enter RBR850  

Subject at hand:
I'd like to shell into my Orbi to set up DHCP6-PD by editing my dhcp6c.conf file as per this:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/IPv6-DHCPv6-Prefix-Delegation/m-p/1733231/highlight/true#M5866...

This seems to be the way to enable IPV6 because my ISP requires a IA-PD and NO IA-NA.

However, I cannot find the place to enable SSH (or god forbid Telnet) in the GUI interface.

I searched here and I've seen mention of secret HTML menu's etc. but no success so far.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: SSH into Orbi - RBR850

@rawb1 wrote:

I'd like to shell into my Orbi to set up DHCP6-PD by editing my dhcp6c.conf file as per this:
This seems to be the way to enable IPV6 because my ISP requires a IA-PD and NO IA-NA

It is really annoying that Netgear does not assign someone to keep the list of products up to date.

Alas, there is no known method to enable SSH or telnet on the AX series of routers.  The most recent firmware release for the original Orbi series removed telnet from the 'debug' menu, but there is a Python script that can be used to enable it. (I do.)  So modifying configuration files is not going to happen.

Can you identify which ISP  forbids an ia-na parameter?  I cannot imagine the ipv6 configuration file being different from one Netgear router to another, so this would seem to make all Netgear routers incompatible with this ISP.  And, you've probably had this 850 more than 90 days and thus cannot contact Netgear.

Wow, this question is 'deep in the weeds'.  My head practically swims trying to understand, for example:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/subscriber-mgmt-sessions/topics/topic-map... 

I would be tempted to use the debug option to 'capture WAN/LAN traffic' and Wireshark to see exactly what the Orbi is sending during the startup discussion.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@rawb1 wrote:

This seems to be the way to enable IPV6 because my ISP requires a IA-PD and NO IA-NA

It is really annoying that Netgear does not assign someone to keep the list of products up to date.

Alas, there is no known method to enable SSH or telnet on the AX series of routers.  The most recent firmware release for the original Orbi series removed telnet from the 'debug' menu, but there is a Python script that can be used to enable it. (I do.)  So modifying configuration files is not going to happen.

Can you identify which ISP  forbids an ia-na parameter?  I cannot imagine the ipv6 configuration file being different from one Netgear router to another, so this would seem to make all Netgear routers incompatible with this ISP.  And, you've probably had this 850 more than 90 days and thus cannot contact Netgear.

Wow, this question is 'deep in the weeds'.  My head practically swims trying to understand, for example:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/subscriber-mgmt-sessions/topics/topic-map... 

I would be tempted to use the debug option to 'capture WAN/LAN traffic' and Wireshark to see exactly what the Orbi is sending during the startup discussion.

Message 2 of 6
rawb1
Aspirant

Thanks heaps for the quick reply:

The ISP in question says this:
dhcp6-pd is required: 
- it should only send IA-PD
- if it sends BOTH IA-NA AND IA-PD in solicit message:
> - must conform to RFC7550
> - this is superseded by RFC8415

How they get around this is that the router that they send out supports this, but I just connect directly to the ONT and don't use their router.

I guess I'm hooped, and yes, it is more than 90days!

Thanks again

Notes:
> > - IA_NA = Non temporary
> >- PD = Prefix delegation
> > - IA_TA = Temporary
> > - IA = Identity association

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, having two routers (Double NAT) is only an issue if there are specific features which are important to you and incompatible with Double NAT. (OpenVPN, forwarding ports is much more cumbersome, some internet gaming)

Message 4 of 6
rawb1
Aspirant

Indeed!

Thanks again for your feedback.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

For you future needs, 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7