Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satelite disconnect problems. This is a flawed product. Messages all over these boards.

cbonomo
Aspirant

Satelite disconnect problems. This is a flawed product. Messages all over these boards.

I bought the rbr20 at Costco for my second home, as I wanted a simple consumer product that would "just work".  What a mistake!  This product has serious design flaws and should be taken off the market.  The satellited disconnects constantly and will not stay connected.  I called support during the first 90 days and they said in needed to replace the satellite.  I brought the entire set back to Costco and replaced it with a new one.  I am not here that often, so I am now outside of the 90 days of free support and I see that the same problem happening.  I have a ubiquity system at home that works flawlessly.  I am so frustrated with this product.  There are messages all over these boards about the disconnects.  I am in a 1500 sq/ft condo, if the space is too small, Netgear should issue a patch to allow the devices to work in small spaces.  the only saving grace is that I can bring them back to Costco again.  If this was a car, it would be a lemon!   

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Satelite disconnect problems. This is a flawed product. Messages all over these boards.

There are features on Orbi that are included to help any Orbi system to work in smaller sized environments. You can reduce the power output of the Orbi wifi radios. 

If your size is too small then maybe just a single router unit is only needed instead of a Orbi system which is mention to cover larger sized homes with greater signal distances to cover. A single router can cover up to around 1100-1500 sq ft alone if placed centrally. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? IF our in a condo then you may be in wifi congested envronment with lots of other nieighboring wifi causing interference problems. This would be a problem for ANY Mfr wifi system. 

There are tons of other posts with WORKING Orbi units. Most of the problems seen here are usually configuration issues, bad placement or environment surrouding interferences that can cause problems with ANY wifi router. 

FW up to date? There is NEW FW available for the 20 series Orbi systems. 

Message 2 of 4
cbonomo
Aspirant

Re: Satelite disconnect problems. This is a flawed product. Messages all over these boards.

FW is up to day.  Not sure of the exact distance, but close to 30ft.  Lots of nighboring units, so there are many SSID's / routers in the area.  What should I drop the power to?

There may be many messages referring to units that work, but there are also many messages referring to this problem.  This is not a one off and I feel that it should be addressed.

CB
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have many other WiFi neighbors, this is something that can't be fixed by fixing any code in FW. this is nature of the beast with having many other wifi signals nearby. Called wifi interference. 

We can address it by changing the power levels of the Orbi from 100% to say lets try 50% or 75%. Try 50% first. 

Also not all problems are FW releated. There are some that are just either mis-configured or placed incorrectly. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7