Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite Update Question

Will_T
Apprentice

Satellite Update Question

I see many posts telling people to always update their satellites first, then the main router.  However whenever I see updates, it just says to update the satellites first.  However the only button in my router interface is "Update All".  How do you do the satellites first?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Satellite Update Question

@Will_T wrote:

Sorry, I guess I was not specific enough in my question.  My RBS webpage already does show the firmware downloaded and ready for the two satellites and for the main router.  There is only one option to update however - the button that says "Update All".  There is no way of knowing what will happen when clicking that button.  Will it apply the satellite updates first as so many here say to do?  Then apply the router update?  How can I be sure to apply the satellite update first?

There are two ways to update firmware on the Orbi:

1. Click the "Update" button and let the Orbi do it however it does it, or
  2. Download the actual image files from the Netgear support site, unpack to extract the ".img" files, then
    * Connect to each satellite home page (by IP address) and click on "Firmware Update", then
    * Connect to the router web management, navigate to the Firmware Update page, and click on the "Manual Update" tab.

Following method 2 is (a) MUCH less convenient than letting the Orbi "do its thing", and (b) gives the user total control over which firmware is updated on which Orbi.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You can download FW files from NG support site and apply them by logging in to the RBS web page using it's assigned IP address in a web browser. 

Message 2 of 13
Will_T
Apprentice

Sorry, I guess I was not specific enough in my question.  My RBS webpage already does show the firmware downloaded and ready for the two satellites and for the main router.  There is only one option to update however - the button that says "Update All".  There is no way of knowing what will happen when clicking that button.  Will it apply the satellite updates first as so many here say to do?  Then apply the router update?  How can I be sure to apply the satellite update first?

Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Will_T wrote:

2. Download the actual image files from the Netgear support site, unpack to extract the ".img" files, then
    * Connect to each satellite home page (by IP address) and click on "Firmware Update", then
    * Connect to the router web management, navigate to the Firmware Update page, and click on the "Manual Update" tab.

Following method 2 is (a) MUCH less convenient than letting the Orbi "do its thing", and (b) gives the user total control over which firmware is updated on which Orbi.

Message 4 of 13
vajim
Master

Update all works.   

Message 5 of 13
Will_T
Apprentice

@vajim wrote:

Update all works.   

Are you saying that "update all" works because you did it that way and had no problems?  Or are you saying that doing it that way definitly updates the satellites first and then the router?  Thanks.

Message 6 of 13
vajim
Master

I'm saying from someone who doesn't update every weekend.  I took a deep breath and clicked update all basically trusting NG to update their gear.  And guess what?   It worked.  Might try it again next year.  

Message 7 of 13
Will_T
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

Thanks for that.  Yes it seems much less convenient and more complicated.  But if I need to I probably can follow your instructions and do it.  

Someone else said that update all worked but it was not clear if they meant worked in general, just for them, or with certaintly did the satellites first and then the router.  I will wait to see if they clarify and then choose which way I go.

I am a couple or few updates back and things work fine so I have not been worrying too much about it.  But my experience in general has been that even if things work OK, if you let firmware get too old, when you do finally have to update, it can be much more problematic.  And I have seen so many times here the statement that you should always update the satellites first that I want to make sure it happens that way.  Just one less variable.

Message 8 of 13
Will_T
Apprentice

OK. Thanks.

@vajim wrote:

I'm saying from someone who doesn't update every weekend.  I took a deep breath and clicked update all basically trusting NG to update their gear.  And guess what?   It worked.  Might try it again next year.  

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

One might power OFF the RBS and RBR after the FW has been updated for 30 seconds then back ON. 
Enjoy. 

Message 10 of 13
vajim
Master

Ok thanks = case closed 

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

@Will_T 

Please mark your thread and solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 13
vajim
Master

Amazing 

ive always wondered how that works 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos