Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite bricked by Firmware Update 2.5.0.38

jasperx
Tutor

Satellite bricked by Firmware Update 2.5.0.38

I had one satellite and the router updated with the new firmware and working for a day before noticing that the 2nd satellite was permanently not connected on the Advanced firmware page.  The set up I had is running the Orbi in AP with the two sats on ethernet backhaul.
I have tried syncing and powercycling everything multiple times.  Turned on the #4 satellite continuously pulsing white.  What I have read is that the solution is to try a factory reset on all devices.  Since 2/3 of the set up is fine, I am reluctant to try esp. if there is a real possibility that there is something wrong with this sat and my network can function well without it.
Here is a symptom that may provide a clue?
After a reset of the sat it flashed white for a minute or two then flashed green a couple times followed by  one amber flash and a quick amber blink. Let me be really clear, the green is not the light next to the power button.  The green is the led on the top of the unit.  I have not found any reference to this green light.  After the green and amber, it then returned to flashing white for about 15 times and then it repeated green, amber, blip.  This cycle went on several times.  I tried another reset and at one point it actually flashed green 3 times before returning to the white flash.
The unit shows up when wired on the devices list but is not listed on the advanced panel for checking firmware.
A reboot holding down the reset gives me a blinking red power led.  Looks like this means corrupt firmware.  The posts I have found about using TFTP have left me with  an error of type 65.  The set up in these descriptions could be a bit clearer esp for Mac.  I set my Mac to a static IP and tried to connect an ethernet cable directly and also through the ATT Pace modem.  Neither way worked.  It isn't clear at all to me why the satellite IP is 192.168.1.1 and my TFTP client is asking for a password.... the only password is on the router.  Tried this and it did not matter.  Since I am a month past the 90 day free support, it looks like I have a brick unless someone knows how to ethernet connect to a satellite with a mac to push the firmware img across.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
jasperx
Tutor

Re: Satellite bricked by Firmware Update 2.5.0.38

Got tFTP to work.

The things I had to do:

Turn off my wireless card in laptop. Disconnect wired ethernet to the dock I hook the laptop to.

Directly connect the laptop to the Orbi sat.

In network preferences find the connection to the sat and set this to a static IP.  In my case it was a self addressed 100/1000 lan.

Use the password printed on the bottom of the Orbi... not my login to the Orbi Router. 

Since I did all these steps at once it might be that the password was not needed but if it is the trick is to use the one printed on the device.

Once the transfer was complete the top ring on the satellite was pulsing green.  Still have no idea what that means but I can confirm it was sucessfully transfered and the Satellite is still endlessly flashing the white light.  On holding down the reset and power up the blinking red led is still there.  I am going to try a fresh download of the disk img.  in the off chance that that file is corrupt.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Know anyone with a Windows laptop for PC that can help with this? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Try the default PW as "password"? 

I would contact the forum moderator and ask for help and information for your RBS.

@Blanca_O 

To factory reset any of the RBR or RBS, press the the reset button for 15 seconds only is sufficient. 

Message 2 of 4
jasperx
Tutor

Got tFTP to work.

The things I had to do:

Turn off my wireless card in laptop. Disconnect wired ethernet to the dock I hook the laptop to.

Directly connect the laptop to the Orbi sat.

In network preferences find the connection to the sat and set this to a static IP.  In my case it was a self addressed 100/1000 lan.

Use the password printed on the bottom of the Orbi... not my login to the Orbi Router. 

Since I did all these steps at once it might be that the password was not needed but if it is the trick is to use the one printed on the device.

Once the transfer was complete the top ring on the satellite was pulsing green.  Still have no idea what that means but I can confirm it was sucessfully transfered and the Satellite is still endlessly flashing the white light.  On holding down the reset and power up the blinking red led is still there.  I am going to try a fresh download of the disk img.  in the off chance that that file is corrupt.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for sharing the details...interesting. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7