Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite not working every 5 mins

packling
Aspirant

Satellite not working every 5 mins

Hi,

I have just bought a RBK 50 router and satellite and both upgraded to firmware V2.2.1.210.  My satellite seems having problem and our device can't find the wifi signal every a few minutes.  Once it is connected back, the internet connection works again after one minute.  Do anyone know why?

I tried to disable the Daisy-Chain Topology.  It doesn't help at all.

thanks.....Pack

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

1. The SW 2.2.1.210 has issues with Ethernet Backhaul and handling of wired devices in general. Please disable Daisy Chain if you stay on 2.2.1.210 since there is an issue when you have Ethernet Backhaul and enable Daisy Chain at the same time.
  2. It's also recommended to go for the latest 2.3.0.32 where quite few wired LAN issues are solved.
  3. What other devices do you have attached to your network? What wired devices do you have connected to your Router and Satellite?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
Was a factory reset performed after updating firmware? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 11
packling
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Please kindly find below my setting.  

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?   Sorry, I don't know the answer as they only provide me a CAT5 cable.

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? Router mode

Was a factory reset performed after updating firmware? No 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? Around 1000 sq ft. but my apartment has a few concrete wall.   The router and satellite are connected with LAN and they are located around 30 feet apart.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.  Auto for 2.4G and 36 for 5G.  This is the default setting.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? I can find 10 other SSID nearby.
What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK [AES], again default.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.  Just did it but the discconnection still exists.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable Daisy chain.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz 

Message 4 of 11
ekhalil
Master

1. The SW 2.2.1.210 has issues with Ethernet Backhaul and handling of wired devices in general. Please disable Daisy Chain if you stay on 2.2.1.210 since there is an issue when you have Ethernet Backhaul and enable Daisy Chain at the same time.
  2. It's also recommended to go for the latest 2.3.0.32 where quite few wired LAN issues are solved.
  3. What other devices do you have attached to your network? What wired devices do you have connected to your Router and Satellite?
Message 5 of 11
packling
Aspirant

Thanks ekhalil.  I have updated to 2.3.0.32.  Let's see how it goes.

BTW, I can't update direct update to 2.3.0.32,  I have to update to all the intermiate firmwares before doing so.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Only the RBR needs to be updated to v212 first, then v32. The satellite can go directly from v210 to v32. 

Let us know how the new FW does. 

If you see issues, be sure to factory reset and setup from scratch and try again. 

I have updated to 2.3.0.32.  Let's see how it goes.

BTW, I can't update direct update to 2.3.0.32,  I have to update to all the intermiate firmwares before doing so.

Message 7 of 11
packling
Aspirant

Thanks to  ekhalil and FURRYe38 .  After upgrade to firmware 2.3.0.32, it has been the 3rd days and everything is working very fine.  Thanks again.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@packling wrote:

Thanks to  ekhalil and FURRYe38 .  After upgrade to firmware 2.3.0.32, it has been the 3rd days and everything is working very fine.  Thanks again.

Message 9 of 11
packling
Aspirant

I have tried a few more days and found my phone swapping wifi between router to satellite signs still exist.  However, the frequency is within my tolerance level.  Hope the coming firmware will further resolve this issue.....  thanks all.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

That maybe due to the handling and how the phone is working with the signals and not handling by Orbi. The phone will pick what signal it wants to use. 

@packling wrote:

I have tried a few more days and found my phone swapping wifi between router to satellite signs still exist.  However, the frequency is within my tolerance level.  Hope the coming firmware will further resolve this issue.....  thanks all.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7