Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Sats connect via daisy chain even though DC is OFF?

ddigler
Aspirant

Sats connect via daisy chain even though DC is OFF?

My RBR40 and (2) RBS20 sats were connected via daisy chain for weeks; all working well with good backhaul. Last night my son had a friend overnight so I activated the guest network from the app. This was the wrong move apparently...

After rebooting, my sats came back up and I absolutely cannot get a good backhaul for either of them. Although both glow 'blue' indicating great signal, in app the network map shows both sats as yellow and when logged into the router through browser both sats are shown as 'poor' signal. 

First question: why does the app and browser both show poor backhaul when the sats clearly glow bright blue after powering up? Which one is correct? 

After mutliple reboots and no good backhaul reported I did some research. It was suggest to uncheck 'daisy chain topology' while logged into RBR40. I did this. Multiple reboots later the sats are still connecting via daisy chain w/ poor backhaul...

Second question. why are my sats connecting in daisy chain when I have specifically disabled this topology? 

Its been tough. I love my Orbi but am concerned that changing a setting or two (activigin guest network in this case) may throw the configuration right out the window and lead to hours lost. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
ddigler
Aspirant

In fairness I need to check back for the good of the community after the rant above. Apparently the recent firmware update that rolled out, I want to say it was a week or two ago, did not update one of my satellites correctly. The more I poked around in the router settings from my PC browser, I was noticing problems with the firmware version listed for my one satellite that was acting up and subsequently likely causing all of the poor backhaul reports and daisy chaining mayhem.

I ended up retrieving the IP address of the satellite itself, using my router login credentials, and logging directly into that satellite on my network. From there I was able to use the firmware update functionality of the satellite itself. I downloaded the newest firmware for my satellite from the Netgear website and flashed it using the connection directly to the affected satellite.

From there it was time for another full factory reset, all three devices. Bunch more messing around with tweaking placement here and there but I am back up and running. I’d like to thank anyone above who took time out of their schedule to help me through it. I know how important firmware is and should have dug deeper. The app is only going to tell you the firmware version of your router itself I realize now the importance of digging into the router interface on a web browser when troubleshooting difficult issues.

Orby stays in my house as of this time; we shall see what the future holds.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 11
ddigler
Aspirant

using firmware v2.5.1.16

I'll have to check my ISP's modem I am using

3,200sf including my finished basement

Distance between router and sat 1 - approx 30' 

Router to sat 2 40' maybe?

No, I have not done a factory reset and setup from scratch since last FW update. Necessary step at this point? 

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@ddigler wrote:

Second question. why are my sats connecting in daisy chain when I have specifically disabled this topology? 

You are probably more careful than I have been.  A number of times, I have checked a box on the Orbi web interface and forgot to click the "Apply" button at the top.  Very annoyed when my changes did not take place.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I woulds try a reset and setup from scratch. I would not synce the RBS during the setup. After you complete the RBR setup, go in and disable Daisy Chain and ensure the RBR reboots. Enable Beamforming and MIMO. After the RBR ready, wirelessly re-sync 1 RBS at a time. I would do these near the RBR or in the same room initially. Then once the RBS are added, place them in there remote locations. 

Check the Orbi app to see if the RBS are each connected directly to the RBR or if the RBS is connected to each other in a chain. Should each be directly connected to the RBR with dotted lines. 

Message 5 of 11
ddigler
Aspirant

OK I’ll give that a shot thanks.

You bring up so many points. So if you questions. Do I factory reset the sats as well?

So you want MIMO beamforming on and daisy chain off. Will any of these settings negatively impact stuff? I guess in my ignorance what I’m asking is if these are better options why don’t they come out this way by default?

Going to give it a go I’ll check back thank you again.
Message 6 of 11
ddigler
Aspirant

Also, how do you handle the guest network? I like the idea of toggling it off and on but I can’t tell if this was a freak thing or if it’s going to break it every time I turn off and on.

ISP supplied modem is an Arris touchstone SB6183
Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@ddigler wrote:
Also, how do you handle the guest network? I like the idea of toggling it off and on but I can’t tell if this was a freak thing or if it’s going to break it every time I turn off and on.

"Guest" is intensely personal, and people seem to have strong opinions.

• The "most convenient" for visitors is to activate the guest WiFi (with a slightly different name) and no password.
    Just tell people, "Connect to 'BirdHouse'" and they're in.  No hassle.
    But, of course, this means any old person can borrow your internet connection.  They cannot interfere with your local network or spy on you, but they could (in theory) be eating up your bandwidth.
    How much "risk" is this? God knows.  Some people would be paranoid and could never do this.
    One might be tempted to use Guest with no password, but turn it on and off.  (This may be what you did.)
  • The "next most convenient" is to leave guest activated, but have a reasonably easy to enter pass phrase, such as "MealWorms".
    A 9 character password has at least 62^9 possible combinations (which multiplies out to 16 times 218,340,105,584,896.
    (a VERY big number of possibilities.)  In other words, no random stranger is going to guess it.
    Secure enough for banking?  Probably not.
  • What many people do is simply tell visitors their WiFi password.  These are usually not random strangers.  Mostly family and close friends.  (Houses with teenagers are a whole different situation.)

I can verify that activating (or deactivating) the Guest account "restarts" the Orbi WiFi radios.  My security system complains "lost network connection". Streaming stops.  There will be yells from all over the house.  My recommendation is to pick a strategy and stick with it.  Don't be turning it on and off all the time.  Having Guest activated with no one connected will not consume vast amounts of resources.

Message 8 of 11
ddigler
Aspirant

Proud of my Orbi; it finally stepped out of the closet and admitted it’s preference for daisy chain topology. In a world full of Orbi‘s that can go either way (star or daisy chain) my Orbi has stepped out and declared a more conservative way of living – 100% daisychain, 100% of the time.

In all seriousness, most frustrating thing I have been through with this unit EASILY. Did a full factory reset of the router, modem, both satellites. Took the advice above before pairing either of the satellites and logged in with a browser, unchecking allowance of daisy chain topology. Fired it up - all daisy chain, all the time. I have satellite 2 sitting 1 foot away from the router, satellite 1 upstairs not even close, but every single time map indicates router->sat 1->sat-2 dc.

But wait there’s more, can someone please tell me why I consistently receive a blue light on the satellites after pairing which according to Netgear clearly indicates good backhaul, while the app and browser both indicate poor signal? I need an answer to this very basic question as the conflicting feedback from the unit is maddening.

Going to give it a few more hours and then it’s going back to Best Buy. Such a shame as the unit was working so well for the past month until I made the audacious decision to turn on the guest network at which time everything came crumbling down.
Message 9 of 11
ddigler
Aspirant

In fairness I need to check back for the good of the community after the rant above. Apparently the recent firmware update that rolled out, I want to say it was a week or two ago, did not update one of my satellites correctly. The more I poked around in the router settings from my PC browser, I was noticing problems with the firmware version listed for my one satellite that was acting up and subsequently likely causing all of the poor backhaul reports and daisy chaining mayhem.

I ended up retrieving the IP address of the satellite itself, using my router login credentials, and logging directly into that satellite on my network. From there I was able to use the firmware update functionality of the satellite itself. I downloaded the newest firmware for my satellite from the Netgear website and flashed it using the connection directly to the affected satellite.

From there it was time for another full factory reset, all three devices. Bunch more messing around with tweaking placement here and there but I am back up and running. I’d like to thank anyone above who took time out of their schedule to help me through it. I know how important firmware is and should have dug deeper. The app is only going to tell you the firmware version of your router itself I realize now the importance of digging into the router interface on a web browser when troubleshooting difficult issues.

Orby stays in my house as of this time; we shall see what the future holds.
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Gladf you got it working. Yes, it's important to have all devices on the same version of FW. Glad it's working not. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7