Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Selectively shut out of wifi system

pdolmsted
Aspirant

Selectively shut out of wifi system

I have a very strange problem. 

RBK43S system with router and two satellites. 

Modem: Netgear CM1000

Internet: Xfinity/Comcast

1. I needed to reboot the router a few times. 

2. Thus, finally succumbed to upgrading to RBR40 2.6.2.104, RBS20 2.6.2.104. 

3. That seemed to work for a while. But then it didn't, and we needed to reboot even more frequently. So following some of the discussion on the boards with some sort of chaos with the .104 fimware, I downgraded backto RBR40 2.6.1.23 and RBS20 2.6.1.38. 

4. Now the following is happening: 

- I cannot attach on my phone, laptop, or desktop. 

- My wife can attach using her phone, desktop, laptop and tablets and has no problem.  

?????? How can it work for one user but not another user, and on all devices respectively? Our DNS settings are the same [we're on the Mac ecosystem]. Is there some hidden place where I could be blacklisted? 

The Orbi admin password also seems to have changed as well, so all h*** has broken loose. I can't log in again to reset the password even when entering the serial number and the answers to the challenge questions [tried two different browsers in case the caches were acting up].

Have I been hacked? Should I start again from scratch? [whatever scratch may be]. 

Very very strange and any advice is very welcome! 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Selectively shut out of wifi system

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Opps sorry I saw your modem brand and model. Smiley Embarassed

Message 3 of 8
pdolmsted
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Info already provided: Netgear CM1000 [not from the ISP]

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

around 30 feet, but this isn't the issue. It doesnt' work for me even when hard-wired into the router. Neither my wife or I are in range of or using the satellites. 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

There is no recommendation to do this from Netgear. I don't want to do this but will try it if good reasons given. This can't explain the selective nature of shutting one person out, can it?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. A reset would be needed to clear out any odd problems as a troubleshooting step. 

Message 5 of 8
pdolmsted
Aspirant

OK, I'll try that once my wife has some down time. Very very strange.

Then, assuming that works, I'll re-upgrade my firmware to the new version, and hopefully all will be OK. 

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try that first. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. Be sure to write down all important info for safe keeping. 

Message 7 of 8
pdolmsted
Aspirant

So far so good......all back up and running without too much trouble so far. I let it install the updated firmware [on router and satellites] when it came back from the factory reset, since chatter on various boards suggested that it was partly due to the DST change and all should be OK. I didn't have to plug into each satellite in turn; don't know if that was a mistake or not, but we'll see. 

If I stay silent that means it's all good. Thanks. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7