Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Separating bands on my RBR20

jdb1970
Tutor

Separating bands on my RBR20

I'm having issues with my SimpliSafe security camera connecting/staying connected to my wifi extender.  Simplisafe is telling me that the camera must have a dedicated 2.4 ghz line, it will not work on 5 ghz.  If they are right I need to separate my channels and dedicate this to the 2.4 line.  I've tried a telnet method to make this change but the change did not hold and it immediately went back to the single SSID.  How canI make this a permanent change?  Do I need to scrap this system and go to another system?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

First try this:

Disable the 5Ghz SSID broadcast on the RBR. Then get your setup device and installation device connected on the Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-20-cannot-connect-Swann-Camera/m-p/1822475/highlight/true...

@jdb1970 wrote:

I'm having issues with my SimpliSafe security camera connecting/staying connected to my wifi extender.  Simplisafe is telling me that the camera must have a dedicated 2.4 ghz line, it will not work on 5 ghz.  If they are right I need to separate my channels and dedicate this to the 2.4 line.  I've tried a telnet method to make this change but the change did not hold and it immediately went back to the single SSID.  How canI make this a permanent change?  Do I need to scrap this system and go to another system?

Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

Also you put you're using an extender with the orbi?

Are you talking about the satellite or do you actually have a wifi extender attached as well? 

Message 3 of 13
jdb1970
Tutor

This camera is actually connecting to a satellite and this is actually the only thing connecting to this satellite.  Is there a way to set just that satellite to run specifically on 2.4 ghz?

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Well if it's working then you shouldn't need to separate SSIDs which would break the MESH wifi system which isn't supported by NG. If it's connected then you can leave it connected. IF it only sees or supports 2.4Ghz, it will never use 5Ghz whatsoever. 

Message 5 of 13
jdb1970
Tutor

The camera is not connected and I can't get it to connect, that's the issue.  I've spent hours trying to get it to connect and I actually did get it to connect once but it didn't last more than a few minutes.  SimpliSafe tells me it's because I need a dedicated 2.4 ghz connection.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@jdb1970 wrote:

I'm having issues with my SimpliSafe security camera connecting/staying connected to my wifi extender.  Simplisafe is telling me that the camera must have a dedicated 2.4 ghz line, it will not work on 5 ghz.  If they are right I need to separate my channels and dedicate this to the 2.4 line.

It might be worth another call to Simplisafe (get a different person on the phone).  The instructions for connecting a camera are pretty clear that their camera, like most other cameras, gets the WiFi information from showing a bar code to the camera.

https://support.simplisafe.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029594812-Installation-Help-for-SimpliCam 

There is a lot of confusion about what should be a simple statement: "requires 2.4G WiFi".  It means literally what it says. If there is no 2.4G WiFi (at all - none) in the house, the camera will be unable to connect because it has only a 2.4G radio chip in it.  If there is more than 2.4G, the camera does not care.  It cannot see any other WiFi channels.  This is like saying, "Requires 2 AA batteries."  No one panics and says, "But, I also have C cell and D cell batteries.  Wow is me!"

I suspect there is some other problem.  I don't own this camera, but I have been annoyed by other products which put "dots" in the password field as I type it in and with my stubby fingers I make typos and do not realize it.

Message 7 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jdb1970 wrote:

What do you use to setup/connect the SimpliSafe security camera?  Your IPhone?

Message 8 of 13
jdb1970
Tutor

Yes, I'm using my iPhone.  My iPhone shows that the phone itself is connected to the 5.0 ghz and the camera does read the QR code but then, after a few seconds it comes back and tells me that my wifi password is incorrect which I've redone and verified a dozen times, I am 100% sure the wife password is typed in accurately. 

Message 9 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jdb1970 wrote:

Yes, I'm using my iPhone.  My iPhone shows that the phone itself is connected to the 5.0 ghz and the camera does read the QR code but then, after a few seconds it comes back and tells me that my wifi password is incorrect which I've redone and verified a dozen times, I am 100% sure the wife password is typed in accurately. 

This sounds like what I went through a few years back while trying to coinnect my Lacrosse weather station.  It's all about getting your phone connected to the 2.4 freq.

What I did back then was, turn the power down at the router (orbi login web browser) for the 5G.  I also unplugged the Sats.  Then I had to get as far away as I could to force the phone to 2.4.  Once the phone is on 2.4, I was able to complete the setup/connection.  Then set the router and Sats back to where they were.  The weather station stays connected even in a power loss.

Since my trials I believe there have been changes to how you reduce the power .  Some have been mentioned here.  I only asked the question about the phone for I feel unless folks have walked in yours shoes, they have no idea how or what you're doing.

Message 10 of 13
jdb1970
Tutor

Thank you, I will certainly give that a try.

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Rather than turn the transmit power down, the current practice is:

• Log onto the Orbi web interface
  • Go to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings and uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID on 5G"
    Every device that is now connected at 5G will remain connected. (including the smartphone)
  • On the smartphone, "Forget" the Orbi WiFi.
  • Go back to the WiFi settings and select the Orbi WiFi again, and enter the password.
  • Now that the phone is connected to the 2.4G channel (because the 5G channel is not broadcasting an SSID),
    return to the Simplisafe App and perform the setup.
  • After the camera is working, reverse the steps
    Reenable 5G broadcast
    "Forget" the Orbi WiFi
    Connect to Orbi again

Message 12 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Since I have a Simplisafe alarm system (but no camera), I opened the Simplisafe App, told it to add a camera, and got to the step where it asked if the "white light on the camera was blinking?"  I lied (clicked "yes").  Up came the QR code.  Read the QR code with a QR reader on my tablet. (actually, two QR readers, just to double check).  The QR code very clearly contains (a) the SSID of my WiFi, (b) the Password I entered on the Simplisafe App, (c) the "name" I gave this imaginary camera ("Living Room"), and (d) a long string a characters which I am guessing is a code to allow the camera to talk to Simplisafe.  This is all a long text string delimited by semicolons ";".

I see absolutely no reason to monkey around with Orbi WiFi settings, let alone try to "separate SSID's".  There is "something wrong" for certain, but fooling around with Orbi WiFi settings is not the solution.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7