Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up Orbi Voice (RBS40V) with Alexa without using the app

nomandland
Tutor

Setting up Orbi Voice (RBS40V) with Alexa without using the app

The manuals instruction uses the Orbi App to configure Alexa. However, the Orbi app is broken and not allowing me to login (there is another thread on this). I need to configure Alexa before my trip next week. Is there any other way to do that without using the Orbi app?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but Blink does not list the Netgear RBS40V on the list of products known to work with the Blink Doorbell.https://support.blinkforhome.com/en_US/alexa/setup-guide#supported-alexa-devices Nor do they list Sonos speakers.

There have been a number of posts on the forum from users not satisfied with what Alexa can do on the RBS40V.  My own use is primitive.  "Alexa, play (a radio station)". "Alexa tell Plex to play". what time is it?  what's the temperature.  tell a joke.  etc.

I have this feeling you'd be better off with something known to be supported, such as an Echo Dot. (3rd gen $18 on Amazon.  Newest models about $50)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Log into your Orbi RBRs web page using a web browser and select Add Satellite feature here to add a RBS to the system.

Message 2 of 7
nomandland
Tutor

Thanks a lot for responding! I already had the satellite added and couldn't seem to find a way to remove it. Do I just factory reset the Orbi voice and start the add satellite process?

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I think you are screwed.  There is nothing in the web browser interface to control the Voice feature.  Only in the app.  Same thing with Armor and Parental Controls. The RBS40V will function perfectly well as a WiFi satellite without activating the Alexa feature.

(I have two.)  If you are gone, maybe playing music can wait until you return?

Message 4 of 7
nomandland
Tutor

I was afraid that might be the case. I got a Blink video doorbell and was hoping to use my Orbi Voice with Alexa as the chime for the doorbell (my previous attempt to install wyze video doorbell failed because the distance between my doorbell and the chime was too far and they won't connect).

I was hoping to set it up and see if it works before my trip. If not, I can return the Blink doorbell. Otherwise I won't be able to return the doorbell as I will miss the return window by the time I come back.

I guess it is just bad timing and returning it would be the option for now.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but Blink does not list the Netgear RBS40V on the list of products known to work with the Blink Doorbell.https://support.blinkforhome.com/en_US/alexa/setup-guide#supported-alexa-devices Nor do they list Sonos speakers.

There have been a number of posts on the forum from users not satisfied with what Alexa can do on the RBS40V.  My own use is primitive.  "Alexa, play (a radio station)". "Alexa tell Plex to play". what time is it?  what's the temperature.  tell a joke.  etc.

I have this feeling you'd be better off with something known to be supported, such as an Echo Dot. (3rd gen $18 on Amazon.  Newest models about $50)

Message 6 of 7
nomandland
Tutor

ah bummer! I wish I have found that list during my research before ordering the device. Thanks a lot for that! Now I can save my worries and just return it 😄

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7