Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up backhaul on an AP orbi

Tempo36
Aspirant

Setting up backhaul on an AP orbi

Hey folks, 

I have an RBR50 kit (RBK50) set up where the router is set for access point mode and the satellite is remote. We discovered an ethernet port hardwired into the house (go figure!) and so I can potentially set up hardwired ethernet backhaul. Is there anything special I would need to do since the router is in AP mode? Or is it just plug and go. I assume I would have the hardwired connection between the satellite and the orbi router and then the orbi router still is the lone hardwired connection to the centurylink router. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Should be setup and go. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Be aware of managed switches if one is is use or switches with "Green Ethernet" features. Can cause problems for Orbi with ethernet connected RBS. 

Message 2 of 5

As @FURRYe38 says, plug and go.

I have an Orbi in AP mode on Powerline Ethernet. Nothing special needed.

Message 3 of 5
TaiwanWu
Aspirant

First of all ! Pair the RBR and RBS via wireless !!

this is my setting now

The orbi's AP mode is not what we think AP mode is.

Kind of like Router mode without DHCP.

You need direct connect the existing router with RBR(WAN port), then connect everything under the RBR. What you connect to the existing router can be used, but can't be seen on the Orbi app, thats why the setallite shows disconnected.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

There are no router or routing features working while in AP mode on the RBR. Most it's a switch with wireless radios running. 

Any RBS needs to be directly connected to the RBR or thru a switch thats connected to the RBR so the RBS status appears correctly on the RBRs web page and in the Orbi app. Most host routers when RBS are connected to them will not pass thru Orbi traffic between the RBR and RBS correctly which causes the status to not appear for the RBS. So RBS need a direct connection with the RBR or thru a switch that passes all Orbi traffic between them:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

@TaiwanWu wrote:

First of all ! Pair the RBR and RBS via wireless !!

this is my setting now

The orbi's AP mode is not what we think AP mode is.

Kind of like Router mode without DHCP.

You need direct connect the existing router with RBR(WAN port), then connect everything under the RBR. What you connect to the existing router can be used, but can't be seen on the Orbi app, thats why the setallite shows disconnected.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7