Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setup Orbi VPN

ryanzou20
Aspirant

Setup Orbi VPN

I followed the instruction from the website and tried to create a VPN access for my Orbi router, but it's not connecting, here is what I did - 

#1 after the Orbi setup successfully, I'm able to access the internet.

#2 I created DDNS account under mynetgear.com domain, activated the account, login successfully from the router.

#3 I enable the VPN service from the Orbi router.

#4 follow the instruction and tested the connection from both PC and Android (outside of the network), and it did not connect. 

however, I used a friend of mine who shared his VPN access to me (the OVPN file) and it connected successfully, and I compared the OVPN file, the only difference is the one that works has a record "route-method exe" , is this the issue? if it is, where to config the Orbi router so that I can have this setting in my OVPN file?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Setup Orbi VPN

@ryanzou20 wrote:

I followed the instruction from the website and tried to create a VPN access for my Orbi router, but it's not connecting, here is what I did - 

#1 after the Orbi setup successfully, I'm able to access the internet.

#2 I created DDNS account under mynetgear.com domain, activated the account, login successfully from the router.

#3 I enable the VPN service from the Orbi router.

#4 follow the instruction and tested the connection from both PC and Android (outside of the network), and it did not connect. 

however, I used a friend of mine who shared his VPN access to me (the OVPN file) and it connected successfully, and I compared the OVPN file, the only difference is the one that works has a record "route-method exe" , is this the issue? if it is, where to config the Orbi router so that I can have this setting in my OVPN file?

Orbi provides three configuration files for OpenVPN: Windows, non-Windows, and Smartphone.  Only the Windows ovpn file has that line "route-method exe".

I can confirm that OpenVPN does work, and also that I had a devil of a time getting it to work.  I did not follow the Windows directions exactly the first time and skipped the step about renaming the VPN adapter.  And, I did not fully understand how DDNS works.

I would first "double check" that DDNS is working. Use the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, and activate Remote Management.  Then, use a web browser on something NOT on the local LAN (smartphone on LTE would work, or computer connected to a smartphone Hot Spot), and open a web browser to connect as it shows in the DDNS page.

I find it useful to look at the log information when opening VPN.  It is pretty detailed about what is happening.

Message 2 of 8
ryanzou20
Aspirant

thanks for reply. 

I just checked. the DDNS is NOT accessable from outside network, what am I missing?

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

It has been almost a year, but my (dim) memory is that the DDNS that I sincerely believed I had set up was not entirely correct.

I set  mine up through No-IP.com (one of the three choices), and was surprised to see a that instead of "nnnnnn", it was nnnnn.mynetgear.com.  I thought "Where did THAT come from?"

Until the DDNS works, VPN cannot work.  I would set up the "Remote Management" and verify that it works.

Message 4 of 8
ryanzou20
Aspirant

one step closer, I got my DDNS working, now I can do remove management from a different network, and the reason I have to change my ATT modem/router into DMZPlus mode (or IP Passthrough in some modem), so that the orbi can work as router mode. 

however, I still can NOT VPN into my network.  thought?

Message 5 of 8
ryanzou20
Aspirant

never mind, I got this. one last step.... reboot the Orbi .... lol.

it's working now!!! Thank you!!!

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@ryanzou20 wrote:

one step closer, I got my DDNS working, now I can do remote management from a different network, and the reason I have to change my ATT modem/router into DMZPlus mode (or IP Passthrough in some modem), so that the orbi can work as router mode. 

however, I still can NOT VPN into my network.  thought?

You are correct that VPN will be blocked by the ATT router before it reaches the Orbi router.  And, the Orbi VPN will only be available when it is in "router" mode. That is why the standard advice is to have only one router.  If you want to VPN into the Orbi, then normally we would say the ISP device has to be put into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode so that the public IP address belongs to the Orbi router.

I have a vague feeling that ATT devices are "touchy" about settings (FAR beyond my capability).  Perhaps if you specify the exact model of ATT device, we can look at the User Manual to figure out a solution.

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@ryanzou20 wrote:

never mind, I got this. one last step.... reboot the Orbi .... lol.

it's working now!!! Thank you!!!

I need to remember to read all messages before replying.  Great.  Hope you enjoy it.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7