Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Shotty Wifi and Satellite Will Not Stay Connected

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Shotty Wifi and Satellite Will Not Stay Connected

II recently just moved from a single level place (1000 sq. ft.) to a split level home(1500 sq. ft.) and never had the problems I am currently dealing with. Before I moved, I only had an issue with an occaisonal disconnection and immediate reconnection with a wired connection the satellite to my computer, but mainted pretty good wifi in the apartment.  I am running out of ideas as to how to fix these issues... PLEASE HELP.

The issues that I am currently having:

-Satellite keeps disconnecting from the network/RBR50 (atleast that's what my Orbi app says), but it still gives me internet via wired connection from the satellite to my computer. It says it is not outputting wifi when I get on the satellite's IP address. 

-The wifi in the house is inconsistent in both strength and connection on both the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz network to all of my devices, even my wired connection to my desktop from the satellite.

What I have tried so far:

Made an SSID for 2.4Ghz

Made an SSID for 5Ghz

Manually updated the firmware to 2.5.1.8 on both the router and the satellite

Manually set the 2.4Ghz channel to 1 (I haven't tried 6 or 11 yet.)

Changed the power settings of the 2.4Ghz transmitting to 50% & 75%

Changed the power setting of the 5Ghz transmitting to 75%

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Shotty Wifi and Satellite Will Not Stay Connected

How far apart are the router and satellite? 30 ft minimum is recommended. 

Have you tried enabling/disabling: mi-mimo, beamforming? 

What modem are you using? 

Is it only the satellite having this issue? What I mean is only the satellite dropping wifi connections? Does the main router have the same issue?  

Message 2 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

1) ~15ft - One is on the first level of the house and the other is directly above it on the second level. I want to hardwire my computer to the satellite if possible.

2) I have not yet. I will try that next.

3) I am using an Arris SB6190

4) I will disconnect the satellite completely and get back to you. What should I do if the satellite is the issue? What should I do if it's both? 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you don't separate the SSIDs. SSID separation is not supported. Can cause problems or users can see side effects. 

Distance between RBR and RBS is important as well. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I will combine the SSIDs and try again. As far as the pairing goes, I am always getting the blue light when they sync. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You may see a config sync message in the status about the RBS on the RBRs UI. 

Factory reset the system and setup from scratch. Try the following as well:

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7