Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should I buy an Orbi?

Rumplestiltskin
Aspirant

Should I buy an Orbi?

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new router \ WiFi system. I currently have a BT HH6. The Orbi looked promising untill I started reading through the posts here, I notice that there seem to be quite a few issues with the firmware releases such as connectivity issues and features being removed.

Is the Orbi reliable, or should I look a powerfull single router system, such as the X10. Has anyone compared the two as far as wifi signal goes.?

Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mahughesnh
Guide

@Rumplestiltskin wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new router \ WiFi system. I currently have a BT HH6. The Orbi looked promising untill I started reading through the posts here, I notice that there seem to be quite a few issues with the firmware releases such as connectivity issues and features being removed.

Is the Orbi reliable, or should I look a powerfull single router system, such as the X10. Has anyone compared the two as far as wifi signal goes.?

Thanks

If I could be certain that it would work as well for you as it has for me, then I would highly recommend the Orbi. 

My router sits in my basement.  With my old router I had no problem with coverage on the ground floor, but on the second floor it became problematic.  Once I installed the Orbi, which only took about 10 minutes total time, I have excellent coverage on the second floor.  My gauge for saying that is that prior to Orbi I could not watch Netflix without repeated buffering.  Post-Orbi, no buffering, ever. 

Honestly, I couldn't be happier.  Except that I always have that nagging fear that a new firmware will be released that will end it for me.  First thing I check every day when I get home is if the wifi is up and running.  I would like to be able to get out of that mode.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give Orbi a 4.  That nagging fear takes away one point.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
matiascuba
Tutor

At the moment I guess no one in this forum can recommend the Orbi. The software has been appalling for the last months with dropping WifI connections, dropping Internet, poor support and more. Perhaps in a few months the situation is better.

Message 2 of 8
Raymondloh
Tutor

I Guess it depends on your usage.....while others may have problems, it has been good for me. I am running on AP mode so far no issues....

Message 3 of 8
Rumplestiltskin
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses.

At the moment, my router is in the corner of my living room, and the wifi signal to the otherside of the house is weak, so I'm lookinag at options. The Wifi signal has 3 walls to go through, so I was hoping that I could place the Orbi router in the living room to replace what's there (running it in router mode with a fibre modem), and have the satallite in the room with the weak signal.

Message 4 of 8
martyfp
Luminary

I have a similar topology to you, with a router in one corner of house and satellite in other far corner. Both downstairs. Two solid brick walls and one stud/plaster wall between them.

Wifi coverage is excellent downstairs and up. We get wifi a good way into the garden too.

I replaced a BT HH5 with Orbi plus Vigor modem and apart from some initial stability issues (fixed for me by latest fw) the wifi performance has been stonking. HH5 is finally in the "IT-box-of-doom" in the garage.

So yes, some folks have had issues but my overall experience has been good.
Message 5 of 8
Rumplestiltskin
Aspirant

Thanks for the info, it certainly helps. I have noticed that the X6S extender is out soon and also looks promising, so I may hold out for a review on that considering the issues that keep being reported about the Orbi and then make a decision.

Thanks Again.

Message 6 of 8
jdpg2
Apprentice

I am one of those individuals that is having a mix of issues, some minor and some major, with my Orbi.  I can say support has been great from a responsivness perspective when you raise a ticket, but slow from getting you to level 2 support.

They , Netgear, clearly know they have issues with their firmware and it appears they are activly working on it.  This is clearly evident from the beta version having a 2.0+ revision number.  My guess is they spent more time rolling out 6 versions of this sucker and didnt think about getting the FW sorted first.

I think on paper their hardware is top notch with a deticated backhaul channel, but missing a wired backhaul option does hurt them (they say this is comming).

So would i recomend buying one?.  I would say yes with the caviot that they have a huge "Orbi" product offering and if they can get the firmware somewhat sorrted this will be a difficult system to beat.  But right now you need to buy into the "Promiss" that they will fix it.

Message 7 of 8
mahughesnh
Guide

@Rumplestiltskin wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

If I could be certain that it would work as well for you as it has for me, then I would highly recommend the Orbi. 

My router sits in my basement.  With my old router I had no problem with coverage on the ground floor, but on the second floor it became problematic.  Once I installed the Orbi, which only took about 10 minutes total time, I have excellent coverage on the second floor.  My gauge for saying that is that prior to Orbi I could not watch Netflix without repeated buffering.  Post-Orbi, no buffering, ever. 

Honestly, I couldn't be happier.  Except that I always have that nagging fear that a new firmware will be released that will end it for me.  First thing I check every day when I get home is if the wifi is up and running.  I would like to be able to get out of that mode.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I would give Orbi a 4.  That nagging fear takes away one point.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7