Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Signal degradation from Orbi to Wifi

patbraz
Aspirant

Signal degradation from Orbi to Wifi

Hello,

I am losing at least 50% of the speed from Orbi to Wifi.  I tested this using an ethernet cable connected to a laptop.

My current setup is as follows:

Nighthawk router (had already purchased Nighthawk before added Orbi to replace my mac airports, which is why this looks may look like a reduntant setup...

Orbi RBR50 - in AP mode.

Basement - Nighthawk router and Orbi routerRBR50  in AP mode -   Signal strength 300 mbs

1st Floor - Orbi satellite 1 RB50 connected via ethernet to basement - speed is 200 mbs, wifi is 100

2nd Floor - Orbi satellite 2-RBS 50 connected via Wifi (no ethernet) speed is 95 mbs, wifi is 35

3rd floor - no Orbi, but tested the ethernet wall connection and have 95 mbs, wifi is 35 or so.

Is the loss from ethernet to wifi supposed to be so high?  Are there any suggestions as to what I can do to improve the setup and increase my Wifi speed?

On advanced setup for Orbi have pretty much checked every box , transmit power control is 100%,  use daisy chain topology (checked on).  Fast roaming is the only box that is not checked off.  See screenshot.

Many thanks!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: Signal degradation from Orbi to Wifi

Remember that if you have daisy chain on the topology looks like this

ROUTER  ---------------------    SAT #1  ------------------------   SAT #2

If you have this setup, the BEST performance you will ever get at Sat #2 is 1/2 what you would get at sat 1

That is because sat #1 has to receive and rebroadcast data to sat 2 as well as receive and broadcast to router.

More hops = more latencies.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

Remember that if you have daisy chain on the topology looks like this

ROUTER  ---------------------    SAT #1  ------------------------   SAT #2

If you have this setup, the BEST performance you will ever get at Sat #2 is 1/2 what you would get at sat 1

That is because sat #1 has to receive and rebroadcast data to sat 2 as well as receive and broadcast to router.

More hops = more latencies.

Message 2 of 5
patbraz
Aspirant

Yes, of course!  Did not realize that, makes total sense.

In reference to Sat # 1 to Wifi right next to it, I also see a 50% degradation.  I see the daisy chain cost, but if I have a laptop and speedtest it right next to orbi satellite, I also lose 50% on speedtest.  Is that common?

Many thanks!

Message 3 of 5
Chuck_M
Mentor

Some of those speed tests I wouldnt put a lot of stock in because you dont know the other overhead going on.... or are inaccurate.

The best ones are by Okala from the windows store that runs as an app on windows 10... is that what you are using?

Message 4 of 5
patbraz
Aspirant

Using macs, I used the Ookla.  I just tested a farther location for Wifi and got 100.  So got 100 mbs farther away, and 50 next to router (using different equipment, laptop vs. ipad, etc.)  So yes, makes no sense!  It is working fine now.  

Thank you so much for your help!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7