Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Signal occasionally down for seconds

Thelis
Aspirant

Signal occasionally down for seconds

Hi,

No issues with the speed, but sometimes the signal is off for one or a few seconds. I don't mind, but the kids doing games with the outside world get kicked out due to the signal being down for a moment. 

Is this a known issue, and can it be solved/fixed.

Thelis

The Ntherlands

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

Whats your firmware version? Have you checked for updates using the web interface of the router? How many satellites do you have?

It is not normal behaviour and is not happening for me with my RBK50.

You can take a stepwise approach to isolating the problem:

Does the connection dropout happen to devices (like PC's) connected via wired Ethernet to the router?

If yes, the problem may be your ISP. WiFi is not the problem.

If No,

does the dropout happen to devices (PC, laptop) connected to the Ethernet port of the satellite?

If Yes, then the problem is with the backhaul connection between the router and the satellite.

If No, (the problem is with WiFi 😞 check to see which unit the portable device is connected to. Walk over to the other unit (router/satellite) and see if the problem persists.

All this will help locate the problem, not fix it.  A factory reset and re-pairing the router and satellite and setting everything up from scratch may be needed.

Message 2 of 8
Thelis
Aspirant

Hi, 

some answers: 

Firmware version V2.5.2.4

2 satellites, signal loss was/is on Satellite 2, we changed the satellites and it happened on Satellite 1 and 2 for a short moment.

No wired divices direct on RBR50, 4 wired devices on Satellite 1and 2 wired devices on Satellite 2. WiFi on on all satellites.

Backhaul connection is 'good' according to web application (Orbilogin etc.). Not watched during signal loss, but the "missing seconds" is maybe to short to be detected.

The very short signal loss is persistent, even after multiple factory resets.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

Are the dropouts happening on the wired devices?

Are they happening on ALL wireless devices connected to the suspect satellite?

Trying to see a pattern.. isolating the problem to the type of connection, and seeing if the problem is with a specific wireless client device, or with the satellite (in which case, it should happen to all wifi devices connected to that satellite).

There are newer firmware on the Orbi download pages.  You could try that (read up on problems that are happening with those).  If you don't brick the Orbi, you can downgrade the firmware back to 2.5.2.4.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@Thelis wrote:

Hi, 

some answers: 

Firmware version V2.5.2.4

2 satellites, signal loss was/is on Satellite 2, we changed the satellites and it happened on Satellite 1 and 2 for a short moment.

No wired divices direct on RBR50, 4 wired devices on Satellite 1and 2 wired devices on Satellite 2. WiFi on on all satellites.

Backhaul connection is 'good' according to web application (Orbilogin etc.). Not watched during signal loss, but the "missing seconds" is maybe to short to be detected.

The very short signal loss is persistent, even after multiple factory resets.

Message 5 of 8
vajim
Master

Neighbors?

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Are the devices that have problems connected at both 2.4G and 5G (some of each)?

(If only devices connected at 2.4G have problems, it would be helpful to know if there are any known 2.4G appliances close by

such as microwaves, cordless phones operating on the 2.4G band, etc.)

Devices connected directly to the router never experience these signal interruptions?

(if devices connected to the router never lose signal, this points toward a problem with the satellite or the backhaul to the satellite)

Are the satellites each connected to the Orbi router, or do they "Daisy Chain"?

(if both connected directly, it is a good idea to uncheck "Enable Daisy Chain" on the Advanced Tab,

Advanced Setup, Advanced Wireless setup.)

There is a very remote chance that the satellite backhaul signal is being forced to move to avoid weather radar.

Enable telnet on the Orbi debug page: http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm (toward the bottom of the page)

Use a telnet program to connect to orbilogin.net

Type this command: cat /var/radardetect.log

(Caveat: This file is not present on my own Orbi, which indicates either (a) that my Orbi has never detected radar signals, or (b) that this command is invalid or no longer works.)

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Thelis wrote:

Depending on the devices, this may lend itself to troubleshooting. One of the common techniques for investigating an internet link is to perform constant ICMP Echo requests ('ping') between devices on both sides of the link.  This requires something on one side of the link to generate ICMP request, something on the other end to respond, and a way to record the results.

My favorite tool is "hrping" for Windows (https://www.cfos.de/en/ping/ping.htm)  Across the link between my Orbi router and satellite, typical ping times are milliseconds.  If the link indeed "goes down", there would be a ping response lasting thousands of milliseconds. hrping allows the user to specify how many pings, how long between pings, and how to record the results to a file.

The Orbi router includes the ping command and Orbi satellites respond to it, so one method would be to telnet into the Orbi router and start a ping on the satellite.  The "downside" of this method is that results will scroll up and off the screen so someone would have to shout out "net is down" and someone would have to "control C" the ping command to freeze the latest results on the screen.  (Not exactly user friendly, which is why I start hrping running on my desktop or laptop and go about doing other things.)

There are other tools which will ping several devices at the same time (PingPlotter5 is one).  That could record responses from satellite to router, to ISP gateway, to DNS server, etc.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7