Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SiriusXM Blocked On RBR50

mangyj
Aspirant

SiriusXM Blocked On RBR50

I installed my Orbi RBR50 (indicates "RBK50" on the box though) over a week ago.  It initially worked great.  No problems whatsoever.

Suddenly today I can no longer stream SiriusXM over the Orbi connection.  I discovered the issue on my Sonos system.  Sonos would play all other streaming content except for SiriusXM.  Then I attempted to play SiriusXM using my GalaxyS9 also connected to Orbi.  Same issues - plays everything except for SiriusXM.  Next I connected to my old weaker WIFI, and SiriusXM worked perfectly.  SiriusXM also naturally works using my S9's cellular data plan.  Back to Orbi - same result.  Orbi is definitely blocking SiriusXM.

I googled the problem, and it appears Netgear Armor may be the issue.  I disabled Armor using the Orbi app.  This did not help.   Please note that the "Activated" status still appears to be checked even though I disabled Armor by sliding the on/off control to the left.  Next I even rebooted the Orbi system.  Same thing.   

I believe Armor is still enabled even though it appears I disabled it.  Remember that the "Activated" status still appears to be checked.  The indicators are in 2 conflicting states!

Please help! This is very frustrating.  

Thank you,

MANGYJ

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: SiriusXM Blocked On RBR50

@Jetdrive wrote:

I remember a post about this very same issue in the past but can't remember the resolution. 

It's possible it was doing a factory reset after turning off Armor. Might be worth a try.

Doing a factory reset will definitely eliminate Armor, because one of the first things that comes up on the web interface during the configuration is a screen recommending that Armor be installed.  I always say (politely), "Not a chance in hell."

I just did a search on the Armor community forum for "SiriusXM" and got zero hits.  One would think if Armor does not play well with SiriusXM, somebody would have mentioned that in the Armor forum.

Have you tried changing to a different DNS server, such as Google 8.8.8.8 or Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 ?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@mangyj wrote:

I installed my Orbi RBR50 (indicates "RBK50" on the box though) over a week ago.  It initially worked great.  No problems whatsoever.

The box contains a "Kit" consisting of one RBR50 router and one RBS50 satellite.  (hense the letter "K").

Regarding SiriusXM, did the Sonos play SirrusXM correctly in the past, but now does not?  We usually ask, "what changed?"

Message 2 of 14
mangyj
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick reply and info on the "K", CrimpOn.  

SiriusXM definitely worked before today I played it every day through the Orbi connection until it stopped working today.  I should have stated that, sorry.  Nothing has changed.

Thanks again!

MANGYJ

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 14
Jetdrive
Luminary

I remember a post about this very same issue in the past but can't remember the resolution. 

It's possible it was doing a factory reset after turning off Armor. Might be worth a try.

Anyone else remember?

Edit: The issue was not being able to turn off Armor. I searched the forum and found the resolution was to turn off Armor and then factory reset the Orbi router. 

Message 4 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jetdrive wrote:

Doing a factory reset will definitely eliminate Armor, because one of the first things that comes up on the web interface during the configuration is a screen recommending that Armor be installed.  I always say (politely), "Not a chance in hell."

I just did a search on the Armor community forum for "SiriusXM" and got zero hits.  One would think if Armor does not play well with SiriusXM, somebody would have mentioned that in the Armor forum.

Have you tried changing to a different DNS server, such as Google 8.8.8.8 or Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 ?

Message 5 of 14
Jetdrive
Luminary

You might want to check the status of your XM subscription. Also give it a try on cellular data to see if it really is a problem with the Orbi.

Message 6 of 14
mangyj
Aspirant

JetDrive, Thank you. 

I was hoping to not go through the install process again, but this does seem to be the best solution.  I don't know if it's just me, but it seems to take forever, and Murphy's law is always looming.  I appreciate your help.

MANGYJ

Message 7 of 14
mangyj
Aspirant

JetDrive,

Before I turned to the community, I switched back to my old weaker (non Orbi) WIFI, and SiriusXM  worked perfectly,  Then back to Orbi, still refused to cooperate. Good question though.  

Message 8 of 14
mangyj
Aspirant

CrimpOn, 

Thanks you for the suggestions.  I am going to simply do the factory reset.  I'm sure more SiriusXM subscribers would be complaining if it were product-wide issue.  I assure you something went haywire with my particular setup.  Thanks again!

Message 9 of 14
mangyj
Aspirant

Interesting!  I did a factory reset on both the satellite and main router, and I went through the setup process again.  In even re-installed the app. It was much less painful the 2nd time around.  I was not promoted to install Armor this time, and it was present and activated after my setup process was complete.  I almost freaked.  But then I tried SiriusXM, and it works!  Thank you everybody for your suggestions.  I think I'll rest easier after the Armor trial period expires, but for now I'm good.   Thank you everybody.   

Message 10 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@mangyj wrote:

I was not promoted to install Armor this time, and it was present and activated after my setup process was complete.  I almost freaked.

Was this setup done using the Orbi web interface or with the Orbi "app"?

Message 11 of 14
mangyj
Aspirant

I reinstalled using the Orbi App on my S9.  

Message 12 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@mangyj wrote:

I reinstalled using the Orbi App on my S9.  

That's why Armor magically reappeared.  The app "remembers".  As long as things are working, this was but a brief frustrating experience.  If you actually want to "get rid of Armor" in the future, configuring using the web interface may be the only way to exorcise it.  Maybe when the free trial expires is will "just go away."  That's a question for the Armor forum for certain.

Message 13 of 14
mangyj
Aspirant

That's pretty funny - "exorcise it"!   For now I'm good.  This Orbi work amazingly well.  It has been worth this small aggravation.   The reinstall was a lot quicker than the original install.  The two boxes seemed to communicate within a couple minutes.  It took them forever to recognize each other the first time around.  At the end of the day, this is a great product.  I get a strong signal from every corner of my property, which is nice, as I can now control outdoor speakers through the Sonos in my house.    Thanks again for all of your help, CrimpOn.  

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7