Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Sites inaccessible because of Circle since last firmware

Celeri
Star

Sites inaccessible because of Circle since last firmware

Since firmware 2.1.4.10 some sites are inaccessible (eg blogspot.com, icloud.com) with Circle enabled, even with no filter level.
By disabling Circle, everything works perfectly.
Obviously, with the previous firmware there was no problem.
I temporarily disabled Circle hoping that an update will fix the problem.
Some observed the same behavior?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you removed Circle from the system, then re-installed it and set it up from scratch?

Message 2 of 26
Yamamoto
Star

I have experienced the same exact problem.

I have reset circle and set it back up as a new circle account and the same problem exists.

Clearly a firmware problem, because until 2.1.4.10, circle ran great, now it it having problems.

Until netgear fixes these problems, future mesh router consumers should absolutely look elseware.  Too many hours of headaches, with no response from netgear.

Shameful

Message 3 of 26
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I have tested this with my system and I am not seeing the same issue can you give me some more examples of websites that do not work with circle enabled.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 26
Yamamoto
Star

Cars.com
Do a filtered search

ebaumsworld.com

Google speed test (2 separate words) then click the blue box to run speed test. Do not click link to Speedtest.net
Message 5 of 26
Celeri
Star

On my side with any filter level activated :  ***.blogspot.com, icloud smtp server, some games like Score Match on iOS...

Cicle disable, everything is ok.

Message 6 of 26
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I still am not seeing the issue I have applied all the default filters maybe try to change your DNS in your orbi Internet settings to googles DNS and then try with circle enabled.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 26
Yamamoto
Star

Darren,

the change that that I am going to make is the following:

return Orbi system and outdoor Orbi to Costco 

i have already ordered an Eero mesh WiFi system and ordered Disney circle

I have chosen to no longer participate as an UNVOLUNTARY beta tester for Netgear with these forced firmware updates. 

Best of luck to everyone, but the fact that Netgear is still pushing the firmware to users after all these problems, shows they really don’t care about the end user experience.  

Message 8 of 26
mimicvii
Tutor

Exact same problem with Circle after the 2.1.4.10 firmware.  Some websites (not all) get stuck on "resolving host" before eventually loading a page with only text (as if the css isn't loading).  For me, it did this with speedtest.net and I'm endlessly "connecting" to channels within a Discord server.  Setting a device to "unmanaged" or disabling Circle all together immediately resolves the issue.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 9 of 26
kippers
Guide

Yes, same here.  I responded earlier with some details but my response has been removed from this thread (is Big Brother watching?)

With Circle enabled, numerous sites will not load and say "resolving host".  Disable Circle and all is fine.

Message 10 of 26
Celeri
Star

So i'm not alone.

Another website blocked by Circle : orbilogin.com !!

Message 11 of 26
kippers
Guide

ah yes, the irony of "orbilogin.com" not resolving......

If you have not tried this already, then try accessing the router using the IP address.  On your local network it should be: http://192.168.1.1

Message 12 of 26
Yamamoto
Star

Kippers

Did you delete your post? Or did netgear delete it?
Message 13 of 26
kippers
Guide

I did not delete it. 

Message 14 of 26
Yamamoto
Star

Is this the post they deleted?

Same issue here. Took me way too long to troubleshoot. I have tried numerous things. I have done a factory reset on both router and satellite, even tried going back to an older version of firmware. I have tired comcast dns, google dns, open dns, then new dns from cloudfare all behave the same. Factory reset was a pain because not only did I have to reset Orbi WIFI, I had to also reset my entire Circle setup in app. I lost all the Circle profiles and custom filters, rules I had setup for our kids. This issue impacts several sites I use on a daily base, and my kids have let me know that it also impacts voice chat sites (such as Discord) that they use with their friends when playing online games. So at this point I have reset, restarted, re-installed everything I can and "no joy". Numerous sites will not load and say "resolving host". As soon as I disable Circle, the sites resolve and resolve very quickly.

Oh yea, in another bit of irony: often the "Orbilogin.com" will not resolve with Circle enabled, so I have had to use the Orbi IP address to access the admin to disable Circle.

I have recommended (and they have purchased) Orbi systems to numereous friends and family. I even drove with my Uncle to Best Buy to buy Orbi and then installed it for him. He called me recently, and I was his "tech support" for an hour on the phone becuase he was having an issue after a forced firmware update.

I have been very pleased with Orbi..... up until recent firmware updates and then this issue with Circle.
Message 15 of 26
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I have escalated this issue to engineering and will let you know what I find out about this issue.

DarrenM

Message 16 of 26
kippers
Guide

that is my post

Message 17 of 26
Celeri
Star

Thanxs DarrenM ! 

I disabled Circle... for the moment

Message 18 of 26
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Our engineers are looking into this if someone could help that is having this issue please send me a PM with your Orbi serial number, when you first started seeing this issue and your debug log where you can get to by going to https://192.168.1.1/debug.htm start a capture then enable circle try to visit a blocked site and then stop the capture and send me that file.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 19 of 26
mimicvii
Tutor

Well, after re-enabling circle, it appears to be working now.

Spoke too soon, it eventually started doing the same thing again.  Will send logs.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 20 of 26
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Our partner, Circle, confirmed that their service suffered some downtime affecting some of our customers. The issue is resolved now and Circle should function as intended. We are sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. Please let us know if you still see any issues

Let me know if the issue still presists and we can look into it futher.

DarrenM

Message 21 of 26
aani75
Apprentice

I just re-enabled circle and could not even go to speedtest.net.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 22 of 26
speedyrecord
Aspirant

Still seeing the same problem with "Resolving Host" on R7000 with Circle enabled. Once disabled, everything works great.

Message 23 of 26
Yamamoto
Star

Hooked up eero network yesterday with a circle add on device. Ethernet backhaul on all 4 eero units. Handshaking between satellites is much faster than Orbi.

Runs great. The family has stopped chirping at me about the network.

Off to Costco today with the Orbi return.
Message 24 of 26
Celeri
Star

Exactly the same problem occurs right now...

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 30 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7