Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Sky Q download and connection dropping (solved)

LeBullet
Apprentice

Sky Q download and connection dropping (solved)

Hi All,

so, If you're a UK/Europe user and Orbi user, like me (last 2 years) you've probably had periods where Orbi has worked well, and periods where it has worked terribly poorly, to the point, of on demand downloads has been impossible to make work properly.  Well, I've finally looked to have resolved it, and the issues you can get, with the Mesh networks for the Q mini's and I also had some overlap issues with Philips Hue system, which was causing slow response of that too.   Anyway, I've resolved them all, finally.

So, at time of writing this post, I'm running Router Firmware Version V2.3.1.60

RBR50K and RBR50S

DM200

Settings, The big resolution is to create two seperate SSID's for the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz network.  I found this as the big answer, by going into the Sky Q settings, (settings, 0, 0, 1 select) and turning off the 2.4Ghz network (although oddly it does use that for downloads), and it then defaulted to only 5G, but it's clear that the problem is really related to the Sky Q wifi card continuing to seperate change between 2.4 and 5Ghz.  I renamed the 5Ghz (added a 5Ghz moniker to the SSD) netwok only, as Sonos and things like this, only use 2.4Ghz, so I found it easier to only change the 5G devices, than everything.

I also had the DM200 setup as a router/Modem, and I think that was causing some issues with DHCP release/refresh of NIC to the ORBI, so I moved to DM200 as Modem and then reran setup of the ORBI to be router, configure all the ISP login settings, which it did correctly and quickly, so also, I don't think was helping much with the dropped connections on the network.  Was my lazy initial setup issue this, as it just worked, so i left it, and shouldn't have, but I bet if i've done it, so will have others. 🙂

All my devices, Sonos, PC's Chromeboooks, Apple devices, even the nest cameras seem to be working ok on these settings so far (only Day 1), but the Sky Q box has gone from hideously unusable, to flying along just nicely.

The other Wifi settings I'm using are: -

Channels 

2.4GHz Channel = 8 (I have neighbours on 1 and 6)

5.4Ghz Channel = 48

Philips Hue Zigbee channel = 25   (don't use channel 11 for 2.4Ghz with 25 on Zigbee you get overlap)

2.4Ghz

Enable SSID = Yes

Enable WMM = Yes

CTS threshold = 2341

Preamble Mode = Long

Transmit Power = 100% 

5Ghz

Enable SSID = Yes

Enable WMM = Yes

CTS threshold = 2345

Preamnle Mode = Long

Transmit Mode = 100%

Implicit Beamforming = No

Enable Mu-MIMO = No

Enable Fast Roaming = No

Hope this helps someone else, with a quick answer, on what has been a hellishy painful, up and down experience with Orbi. 

Note to Orbi, just sort it out, from the GUI to do this, or make your product stop flipping devices from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz.  I now, no longer want to throw your devices out of the window, and it was getting very, very close.  🙂

AndyG

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi does not support separation of SSIDs. If NG hasn't put this in then by now, you can presume NG won't be putting it in. Maybe in next Orbi AX system, however NG has only supported the disabling of either radio SSID temporarily. Chipset Mfr and NG implemented single SSID on there system and for the most part it does work. Most of the issues with Smart Connect are with the connected clients and there software and how they handle Smart Connect. Most of the problems are with these Mfrs and how they work with Smart Connect. Change needs to start there. 

Message 2 of 6
LeBullet
Apprentice

it is doable, by telnet into the device.  You can definitely assign seperate SSID's to the device.  It doesn't support it in the GUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEgVG8rR5o8

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

It is, however it's not officially supported. 

Message 4 of 6
LeBullet
Apprentice

well, that's probably true...   but my device is out of support anyway. 🙂

it was either this, or the bin.... I chose this.  Works a treat.  It's not ideal, would have been better if it'd work properly, and I agree, it's vendor issues with Wifi, not neccesarily Orbi (as it has, in many Firmware versions, worked absolutely fine), but recently with many Sky updates, doesn't work as it shoud.

this therefore, is a crude workaround. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7