Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Wifi for mobile devices

Phiniac
Aspirant

Slow Wifi for mobile devices

ISP montana sky networks wireless broadband (dish to tower) paying for 50/6 getting 57/13

plugged directly to router

router updated to latest firmware 2.3.5.30

Router is in center of house in office.

1 satellite is in my son's room wireless backhaul

1 satellite is in master bedroom wired backhaul

all wired devices are getting max internet.

my surface book is also getting max internet. Showing a 702mb connection rate.

brand new lenovo yoga c930 got 48mb internet at first and was getting 400ish mb when transferring large file from wired device. It shows a 866.7 connection rate. Now it slowed down to 18mb after repeated testing. Can't get any higher.

Galaxy Note 9 which shows a 585mb connection rate are only getting 32 down

Ipad mini maxes out at 50mb 

I've tried dozens of things i've found here on the forums to no avail.

including variations of the following:

daisy chain on/off

mimo on/off

fast roaming on/off

channel coexistence on/off

WMM on/off

2.4 power to 25% / 100%

changing channels.

beam forming on/off

Wood Contruction. Shingle Roofs.

I have no neighbors within 1 mile. No other routers in the house. Nothing transmitting signals of anykind that i can think of.

I have moved devices within a couple of feet of main router and satellites and still only get 32ish mb down on those devices.

why can't i get decent reliable speeds via wifi?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Phiniac
Aspirant

Re: Slow Wifi for mobile devices

Ok...so it appears that speedtest.net and the speedtest app on android are not giving reliable results. Went to fast.com and it reported 56-59mb down. I'm paying for 50mb so it appears to be good. Don't think i'm going to use speedtest anymore, at least for wireless devices. Right now just tested again...

speedtest app for android 31mb down

fast.com on same android using chrome browser 57mb down

speedtest.net website on android using chrome (had to check "desktop site" in options) 48mb down

SPEEDTEST.NET SUCKS!!!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM all together. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 9
Phiniac
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 30ish feet to the wifi backhauled satellite sounds about right. The wired satellite is closer to 50/60 feet. They are on opposite ends of the house with the main router in the middle of the house.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Currently 2.4 set to 11 and 5g is set to 36

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM all together. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings I've tried variations of these settings but currently, yes, thats what they are already set to.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Can't find where to disable armor. Circle, daisy chain and ipv6 are disabled. I'll try disabling fast roaming and set the coexistence and report back shortly.

Message 3 of 9
Phiniac
Aspirant

unchecked the 20/40 coexistence but can't see where to set it to "40 only" as you suggested.

everything else is set as directed.

Phone's connection reports a rate of 650mbps but speedtest app is only getting 27.6 down 12.1 up.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the 1 wired RBS directly connected to the RBR or thru a LAN switch? Daisy chain should be disabled for this. 

Do you get good speeds at the wired RBS? 

Might try swapping the RBS placements around and see if problem follows or not as a troubleshooting step if needed.

Message 5 of 9
Phiniac
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is the 1 wired RBS directly connected to the RBR or thru a LAN switch? Daisy chain should be disabled for this. 

It is connected thru an unmanaged netgear gigabit switch. As directed by you previously, daisy chain is disabled.

Do you get good speeds at the wired RBS? 

Might try swapping the RBS placements around and see if problem follows or not as a troubleshooting step if needed.

I could try this if needed. I just tried powering off the wifi RBS to see if the main router would provide better results when connected to it with a short 5ft distance and produced the same results.

Message 6 of 9
Phiniac
Aspirant

Sorry, forgot to answer all of your questions. YES, i get excellent speeds at ALL locations with wired devices.

Message 7 of 9
Phiniac
Aspirant

How is it that I could get local transfer speeds from a wireless laptop to a wired computer in excess of 400mbps but the same laptop suffers from slow download on speedtest.net? That doesn't make sense to me.

Message 8 of 9
Phiniac
Aspirant

Ok...so it appears that speedtest.net and the speedtest app on android are not giving reliable results. Went to fast.com and it reported 56-59mb down. I'm paying for 50mb so it appears to be good. Don't think i'm going to use speedtest anymore, at least for wireless devices. Right now just tested again...

speedtest app for android 31mb down

fast.com on same android using chrome browser 57mb down

speedtest.net website on android using chrome (had to check "desktop site" in options) 48mb down

SPEEDTEST.NET SUCKS!!!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7