Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slower ethernet speeds through Orbi?

fowlert
Aspirant

Slower ethernet speeds through Orbi?

I just updated to gig internet and trying to figure out why I'm getting the speeds I'm seeing while plugged in.

Hitron modem from my cable company is set to bridge mode.

My laptop plugged directly into the Hitron is showing speeds between 750-950.

I connect to the Orbi through my web browser and use the built in speed test, pretty much the same, usually reports 850.

The Orbi network statistics page shows 1000M/Full for every port.

But both my laptop and PC plugged into one of the ethernet ports on the Orbi (the router, not a satellite) will only go 350-450 tops, never higher.

Have tried my laptop and PC, both show exact same speeds.  Have swapped cables around, tried different cables between cable modem and Orbi router as well as between Orbi and laptop/PC, always the exact same speeds.  PC has more than one network adapter, tried both, tried disabling/enabling, updating drivers...always the exact same results.

First, I really should be getting the 750-950 speed on laptop/PC when plugged directly into a port on the Orbi correct?

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I should be trying?  Everything seems to point to something on my laptop or PC's (running Windows 10), but is there something I'm just missing on the Orbi?

Appreciate any help provided!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Slower ethernet speeds through Orbi?

@fowlert wrote:

First, I really should be getting the 750-950 speed on laptop/PC when plugged directly into a port on the Orbi correct?

Are there any other troubleshooting steps I should be trying?  Everything seems to point to something on my laptop or PC's (running Windows 10), but is there something I'm just missing on the Orbi?

I agree that your wired PC or laptop, connected to the Orbi, should be getting full speeds.  From the community faq (link😞

1. If your speed loss is apparent with your maximum Orbi wired speed (at the Orbi base station), be sure to disable Armor, Circle, Speed Test, Access Controls and Traffic Meter.  If these overhead options are already disabled then factory reset your Orbi.
Message 2 of 3
fowlert
Aspirant

Re: Slower ethernet speeds through Orbi?

Thx for that link, it's exactly the kind of list of things to check we were looking for.

So I think we've figure out what might be happening.  Not sure why they are working differently, but we tried about 5 different online "speed tests" and there is one that always reports the slower speed (roughly half of what it should be) when plugged into the Orbi.  That same test reports the full speed when plugged into the modem, but then always back to half when plugged into the Orbi.  Other online speed tests are showing the full speed when plugged into the Orbi though, so it looks like something with how that one speed test is working?

I don't know anything at all about how the tests work, so have no idea about what's happneing, but it's easily/consistently reproducible.  Ookla and fast.com tests are both reporting the full speed, but this one other is always different.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7