Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Some stations on TuneIn blocked 80% of time behind the Orbi RBR50

kinwolf
Guide

Some stations on TuneIn blocked 80% of time behind the Orbi RBR50

Hi,

Some local radio stations are blocked when trying to access them through itunes, on a device connected to the home network, which uses Orbi RBR50 + 2 satellites.  After months(not kidding) of debugging and support calls to amazon(for alexa devices), I can finally be sure it's the orbi that causes the problem, but I have no idea why.  Basically, about 80% of the time, tunein will tell us the radio station(like https://tunein.com/radio/ICI-Radio-Canada-Premire---Qubec-1063-s18344/ ) is not available.  But take the same device(be it a cellphone, or device like alexa) and put it on another wifi network that uses another router brand, and it works 100% of the time.

What could it be in the Orbi that prevent some stations on tunein form working?  There is nothing configured on the orbi to block services or URL.  Armor is activated though, but I see nothing in armor dashboard about this.

The Orbi router, and satellites, all have the latest firmware installed at this time, 2.7.3.22, but this problem has happened for more then a year, with various firmwares.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Very strange.  I just now connected my Android phone to a second Orbi RBR50 which is connected to the primary RBR50 (that makes two Orbi routers it has to go through) and TuneIn Radio gets ICI Montreal, Ottowa, and Quebec just fine.  TuneIn works through my Orbi, but not through yours.

So I wonder, "what could be different between Orbi and Google WiFi routers?"  This sounds as if the Domain Name System is not resolving the internet address of those stations.  The default setting for Orbi routers is to use whatever DNS servers the Internet Service Company suggests.  I have changed mine to use CloudFlare (1.1.1.1) and Google DNS (8.8.8.8) - not for any specific reason; I just like changing things.  Wonder what the default DNS server configuration for Google WiFi???  Would they, for example, default to Google DNS?

Sorry for the long digression.  Would it be convenient to go into the Orbi web administration, Basic Tab, the Internet Menu, and change the DNS to use Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)??

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Very strange. I have the Orbi RBR50 and TuneIn on my cell phone (using WiFi) receives Montreal, Ottowa, and Quebec.  (It's all in French).

TuneIn app on Windows 10 does as well.

Have no idea what the problem is, but doubt that it is the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello kinwolf,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

The latest firmware at this time for your RBK50 is FW v2.7.4.24. 

Please navigate to the links below to manually update your RBR50 and RBS50 to the latest firmware.

Please navigate to the link below for the download file for your RBR50: 
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50#download

For more information on manually updating your RBK50 please navigate to the link below:
https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

Please let me know if this helps!

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 3 of 7
kinwolf
Guide

The problem is the Orbi, there is no denying that since if I put my old Google wifi as the router, everything works fine.  Put the orbi back there, bang, station blocks most of the time.  I'm not saying all stations are blocked though, but the one I listen to in the morning, 106.3 quebec, is. 

The problem happens on tunein on alexa, the windows app, the tunein website, all of them. 

I have updated the firmware(weird that it doesn't detect that version in the admin interface), same result(I did mention the problem was across mutliples firmware, so I wasn't expecting a miracle there.)

Any way to debug why the stream seems blocked by the orbi?

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Very strange.  I just now connected my Android phone to a second Orbi RBR50 which is connected to the primary RBR50 (that makes two Orbi routers it has to go through) and TuneIn Radio gets ICI Montreal, Ottowa, and Quebec just fine.  TuneIn works through my Orbi, but not through yours.

So I wonder, "what could be different between Orbi and Google WiFi routers?"  This sounds as if the Domain Name System is not resolving the internet address of those stations.  The default setting for Orbi routers is to use whatever DNS servers the Internet Service Company suggests.  I have changed mine to use CloudFlare (1.1.1.1) and Google DNS (8.8.8.8) - not for any specific reason; I just like changing things.  Wonder what the default DNS server configuration for Google WiFi???  Would they, for example, default to Google DNS?

Sorry for the long digression.  Would it be convenient to go into the Orbi web administration, Basic Tab, the Internet Menu, and change the DNS to use Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)??

Message 5 of 7
kinwolf
Guide

I made the DNS change to see, I'll report back during the week. Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
kinwolf
Guide

Well, so far so good.  It seems it could be DNS related.  I'm stil lwaiting a few days, but looking good!  Thanks! 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7