Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Speaker unmutes itself

toxteth
Initiate

Speaker unmutes itself

I have a RBS40V speaker satellite that I'm using for wifi but not for the speaker.  I've found that the speaker will randomly unmute itself and occasionally will broadcast a message saying "orbi voice is ready for setup".  Is there a way to prevent this from happening?  I currently have no plans to connect to Alexa.

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 8
meaden
Initiate

I have the identical problem. Didn’t want the Alexa version, but only one in shop - so they gave it to me for same price.

Getting that message is bad enough, getting it randomly at 3am when you were sure you muted the device is a level of frustration that I don’t need.

If you find a solution, please let me know.
Message 2 of 8
toxteth
Initiate

I guess it's comforting that I'm not the only one experiencing this.

The one thing I'd recommend is turning the volume down as far as possible before muting the speaker.  That way when it decides to unmute late at night and broadcast a message, it'll be barely audible. 

Message 3 of 8
jplaplante
Initiate

Same problem here and it always announces itself in the middle of the night. It's very frustrating there is no hardware or softwares switch to disable Alexa entirely. I'm worried alexa is deciding to listen to me even when I turn off the microphone - the orbi has a mind of its own I cannot figure it out. 

Message 4 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

You all are probably experiencing a power failure and the satellite is rebooting. I had that problem where my voice was on the same circuit as my huge printer copier. Every time the heater would come on the voice would reset and blurt out the message. Howver my voice satellite at home has never had an issue, except I purchased used and the last person did not reset it. So I did a factory reset and all was good.

Message 5 of 8
jplaplante
Initiate

My issue is not related to power failure.  In fact, power failures are very rare where I live - I can probably count less than 5 times over 20+ years here.  Further, we had a recent power failure several days ago and the speaker did not announce itself.  Finally, the issue emerged again this morning (4:45am to be exact) when the speaker took itself off mute and announced it was ready for setup and then put itself back on mute.  And no power failure this morning.

Ugh.

Message 6 of 8
Papichulo33
Initiate

Having the same issue and was wondering if anyone has found a resolution. Any updates is appreciated and would really like to hear from Netgear.

Thanks.
Message 7 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

The permanent fix is to setup the Alexa and register it. Then you can go in and disable pretty much anything you want. Until then you will get the reminder as many times as the Orbi app bugs you about signing up for Armor.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7