Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stop router from overriding /etc/dhcp6c.conf

barfoo
Aspirant

Stop router from overriding /etc/dhcp6c.conf

It's well documented that the Netgear really suck at IPv6. I need it to work from home as we need to test IPv6 related apps. I bought this latest greatest router thinking it'll work out of the box. Anyway rant's over. 

After a week of trying to get it to work. I got it. It turned out my ISP uses DHCPv6 PD. If the device requests both IA-NA first, and IA-PD then NoAddrAvail message for the IA-NA will be return and well the whole process is dead. Since there is no way to configure any of this in the UI. Heck it's buried in one page in the basement just to show you how Netgear prioritize IPv6 in 2020. Through this wonderful post I got enough to Telnet into the router and updated the sequences in /etc/dhcp6c.conf and got it working.

But here's the problem. Whenever the router reboot, it wipes out the changes. I'm forced to Telnet in again to make the update. 

Does anyone know where I can stop the router from resetting  /etc/dhcp6c.conf? Any help will be greatly appreciated. It's really frustrating to be dealing with this in 2020. 

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Stop router from overriding /etc/dhcp6c.conf

The only difference I see between that example and my Orbi is the name of the interface, correct?

i.e. mine reads "brwan" and the reference is "wanifname"

My Orbi is on a UPS and goes months without rebooting.

If the issue is really important (really, really), you might consider running Voxel's firmware.  I believe he has included provisions to perform actions upon reboot.  Check the "QuickStart.txt" file in the latest release:

http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Orbi-RBK50-Voxel-firmware/RBK50-V9.2.5.1.17SF-HW.zip 

Message 2 of 6
barfoo
Aspirant

You are correct. We are on brwan and eth0 on the Orbi. 

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the Orbi but it's frusrating that the firmware is so limited with IPv6. Searching these forums and Google really give you the level of frustration people have with the lack of support for IPv6. 

Thanks for the firmware suggestion. It's unfortunate but I'm going to have to give a 3rd party firmware a try. 

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@barfoo wrote:

You are correct. We are on brwan and eth0 on the Orbi. 

So, I'm "not getting it."  What exactly has to be changed in the Orbi conf file to make IPv6 work correctly?  i.e. change "brwan" to "wanifname"?

Oh, I keep forgetting.  I am on Spectrum which probably does IPv6 differently than your ISP.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support and to see if they can get it fixed. 

Most telnet changes won't persist past a reboot.

I recommend letting NG now about this.

@Blanca_O 

@barfoo wrote:

It's well documented that the Netgear really suck at IPv6. I need it to work from home as we need to test IPv6 related apps. I bought this latest greatest router thinking it'll work out of the box. Anyway rant's over. 

After a week of trying to get it to work. I got it. It turned out my ISP uses DHCPv6 PD. If the device requests both IA-NA first, and IA-PD then NoAddrAvail message for the IA-NA will be return and well the whole process is dead. Since there is no way to configure any of this in the UI. Heck it's buried in one page in the basement just to show you how Netgear prioritize IPv6 in 2020. Through this wonderful post I got enough to Telnet into the router and updated the sequences in /etc/dhcp6c.conf and got it working.

But here's the problem. Whenever the router reboot, it wipes out the changes. I'm forced to Telnet in again to make the update. 

Does anyone know where I can stop the router from resetting  /etc/dhcp6c.conf? Any help will be greatly appreciated. It's really frustrating to be dealing with this in 2020. 

Message 5 of 6
barfoo
Aspirant

interface brwan {
      send ia-pd 11;
      request domain-name;
      request domain-name-servers;
      request ntp-servers;
      request sip-server-domain-name;
      request sip-server-address;
      script "/etc/net6conf/dhcp6c-script";