Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Strange or not? Two LAN on same Orbi?

Docgil
Aspirant

Strange or not? Two LAN on same Orbi?

I have rbk50 and installed them correct. But I find it a bit strange that I can access my primary router using borth 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1. Is this a faulty setup or is my router operating om both LAN levels? When entring my router using 1.1, I can see it the setup page that I have sat internal LAN to be 0.1. Should it be like this? I just think it is strange...2,4/5 thing?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
st_shaw
Master

Re: Strange or not? Two LAN on same Orbi?

wrote:

I have rbk50 and installed them correct. But I find it a bit strange that I can access my primary router using borth 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1. Is this a faulty setup or is my router operating om both LAN levels? When entring my router using 1.1, I can see it the setup page that I have sat internal LAN to be 0.1. Should it be like this? I just think it is strange...2,4/5 thing?

It should not behave this way.  Something is probably misconfigured.

You refer to your "primary router".  Do you have other routers on your LAN.  If so, that could be causing your issue.

On Orbi's LAN setup, make sure you are using the correct settings:

• LAN IP address. 192.168.0.1

• Subnet mask. 255.255.255.0

Message 2 of 8
Docgil
Aspirant

Hi

I have one rbr50 and two rbs50 sat. The fiber modem is bridged. I do not have any other routers and I like to think I am pretty good in setting up a network. I am entering the same rbr50 using both ip-addresses. That is what I find so strange.

Message 3 of 8
st_shaw
Master

OK.  Did you check the Orbi GUI to see what the LAN IP and subnet mask settings are?

Message 4 of 8
Docgil
Aspirant

The LAN setting show:

IP address: 192.168.0.1

ip sub net: 255.255.255.0

Message 5 of 8
st_shaw
Master

Ok.  Strange.  It is permissible for one device (i.e. Orbi) to maintain more than one IP address, so technically what you are seeing is not invalid. Many devices retain a permanent IP address so they can be accessed if something is misconfigured, and 192.168.1.1 is the default address for the Orbi router.  I just haven't heard of Orbi retaining that address.

Check the WAN IP address of Orbi.  Is it a valid public WAN IP, or a private IP address like 10.0.0.X?

What are the IP and subnet mask settings on the client device you are using to access Orbi?

You could try powering off your router and any switches you have on the network, then turning everything back on.

If that doesn't work, I would try changing Orbi's LAN address to something different, like 192.168.2.1, to see if that resolves the issue.

Message 6 of 8
Docgil
Aspirant

Thanks for your answear. I am having a real wan ip, using 79.161.x.x and the sub is 255.255.252.0 for that wan. I will try to change internal lan range as sugested after the kids have gone to bed. I guess this lan think is not the reason for orbi reboot and lost connections on my ios's. 🙂 

Message 7 of 8
gordo5
Aspirant

Wow, I found this thread because I'm experiencing the same thing, although slightly different.  I configured my orbi to use 192.168.1.0/24 instead of the default 192.168.0.0 because I already had a bunch of static assignments in that range, so it was easier for me.  While troubleshooting an unrelated issue I discovered that I can browse to my router on either 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1.  Weird.  I've combed through the screens and I can't find anything at all for 192.168.2...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7