Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sudden changes to port forwarding

tcadell
Follower

Sudden changes to port forwarding

I'm using R6400v2 and have been for several years. I run a web server on port 80 and 443, and allow ssh to my server from certain IP ranges. Port forwarding has been in place for years and has worked perfectly.

I recently had a power surge and had to replace a network switch, but the router appeared unaffected.

Except: ports 22, 80 and 443 no longer reach the correct server. Ports 80 and 443 appear to be connecting to the router itself, at least from the HTML returned, and port 22 is ignored completely. Ssh from a machine outside the network just sits and waits, eventually timing out.

The Advanced Admin -> Advanced Setup -> Web Services Management no longer has a flag to control outside admin access to the router, just the following:

Local Management:

[ ] Always Use HTTPS to Access Router

Thanks for any ideas

Tim

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Sudden changes to port forwarding

@tcadell wrote:

The Advanced Admin -> Advanced Setup -> Web Services Management no longer has a flag to control outside admin access to the router, just the following:

Local Management:

Not having an R6400, I cannot be 100% positive, but my Orbi RBR50 "Web Services Management" now appears to be the same. i.e. the option for "Remote Management" no longer appears.  One hypothesis might be that the Anywhere Access feature of the various "apps" (Orbi app, Nighthawk app) is considered a more convenient and (in some crazy way) superior method of controlling a home router remotely.  (If anyone had asked me, the response would have been "This is just plain STUPID." But Netgear ever asks my opinion.) One might also assume that a change such as this would be included in the Release Notes for the firmware update that removed it.  (Ha)

My solution to Remote Management is to set up OpenVPN on the router and use an OpenVPN client to connect to the LAN and then a web browser to connect to the router.  It is 10 times as much effort, but has the capability to reach every device on the LAN and is thus potentially more useful.

On the Port forwarding issue, I fear you may be back to "square one."  i.e.:

• Are the ports actually open on the intended devices?
    That power surge did not result in any changes to the target devices or their firewalls?
  • Where was that switch that failed in terms of the pathway from the internet to the devices?
  • Are the ports still forwarded correctly in the router? (no IP address changes?)

Port forwarding only functions when the target device is actively listening on the desired ports. If anything has changed that affects this, then the router will not forward.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for General Router products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with older routers and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@tcadell wrote:

Local Management:

Not having an R6400, I cannot be 100% positive, but my Orbi RBR50 "Web Services Management" now appears to be the same. i.e. the option for "Remote Management" no longer appears.  One hypothesis might be that the Anywhere Access feature of the various "apps" (Orbi app, Nighthawk app) is considered a more convenient and (in some crazy way) superior method of controlling a home router remotely.  (If anyone had asked me, the response would have been "This is just plain STUPID." But Netgear ever asks my opinion.) One might also assume that a change such as this would be included in the Release Notes for the firmware update that removed it.  (Ha)

My solution to Remote Management is to set up OpenVPN on the router and use an OpenVPN client to connect to the LAN and then a web browser to connect to the router.  It is 10 times as much effort, but has the capability to reach every device on the LAN and is thus potentially more useful.

On the Port forwarding issue, I fear you may be back to "square one."  i.e.:

• Are the ports actually open on the intended devices?
    That power surge did not result in any changes to the target devices or their firewalls?
  • Where was that switch that failed in terms of the pathway from the internet to the devices?
  • Are the ports still forwarded correctly in the router? (no IP address changes?)

Port forwarding only functions when the target device is actively listening on the desired ports. If anything has changed that affects this, then the router will not forward.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7