Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Suitability of Orbi RBK50 in two-story 2400 sq. ft. home with cable drop in middle of 2nd floor

MRBMAN
Aspirant

Suitability of Orbi RBK50 in two-story 2400 sq. ft. home with cable drop in middle of 2nd floor

I have read all of the reviews and most of the posts regarding the Netgear Orbi, but there is almost no information regarding using one in my configuration.  My home is a two-story colonial syle wood frame with a full basement.  My cable drop (TWC) is is as close to the middle of the top floor as is possible.  My cable modem was recently upgraded to a Ubee DVW3201 by the cable provider and provides 20Mbps Down/ 1 Mbps Up service.  My current router is an n900 unit.  I have no Ethernet runs in the house except in the same room as the router.

I have tried using a wireless bridge to my downstairs area using my current router, but doing so cut both my wireless and my wired speeds in half (no explanation for the wired speed reduction), so I ditched the extender.  Filters my cable provider has on the cable runs interfere with the frequencies used by MOCA.  The downstairs and upstairs areas are split on either side of power distribution at the circuit breaker which would inhibit powerline adapters.

I measured the following signal strengths and throughput using a Wi-Fi Analyzer on my smartphone (N only):

2.4 Ghz 5 GHz
Signal
Strength (dbM)
Transfer Speed (Mbps)
Download / Upload
Signal
Strength (dbM)
Transfer Speed (Mbps)
Download / Upload
2nd / NW Bdrm-5418.1 / 1.17-4614.7 / 1.17
2nd / SW Bdrm-5318.1 / 1.16-5716.0 / 1.16
2nd / Comp Rm *-3918.1 / 1.16-3616.8 / 1.16
2nd / Master Bdrm-4717.2 / 1.12-4618.1 / 1.16
2nd / Master Bath-4818.1 / 1.17-5718.1 / 1.16
2nd / Master Closet-4415.6 / 1.16-4513.8 / 1.17
1st / Foyer-4715.0 / 1.14-4517.3 / 1.17
1st / Living Rm-6118.1 / 1.16-6103.0 / 0.68
1st / Bird Rm-6117.6 / 1.16-641.38 / 1.16
1st / Kitchen-5018.0 / 1.16-5318.0 / 1.16
1st / Dinette-4518.1 / 1.17-5317.5 / 1.16
1st / Family Rm-5217.8 / 1.17-5915.3 / 1.16
1st / Mud Rm-5617.8 / 1.16-661.66 / 0.86
Basement (Stairs)-6218.1 / 1.16-6304.0 / 1.16

I have the following devices:

Client DeviceWi-Fi Config
work laptop2x2 ac
home laptop'N' only
Roku 3'N' only
smartphone1x1 ac
smartphone'N' only

(2) Blu-Ray players

'2.4' only

I have two desktop PCs, a network printer, and a NAS (two NICs) located in the same room as my router.  They are connected to a network hub that is connected to the router.

Signal strength upstairs is quite good throughout.  I have a few low signal areas on the first floor.  I have little signal strength in my basement, mostly dead spots, but I currently have no devices there anyway.  Wireless in the basement is a "nice to have" but is not a requirement.  Based on my research (smallnetbuilder), I could certainly benefit from an AC class router upgrade since my current router is N900 only.

I am impressed with the Orbi.  If I purchased it, I would install the router upstairs where the cable drop is located (middle of the house) and place the satellite very close to the middle of the house on the first floor.  However, given the cost of the Orbi, I would prefer to only purchase one if it is a best-fit device for my needs.

My questions:

Will the Orbi function with a Ethernet connected hub?

Is this a good application scenario for the Orbi?

If not, should I just focus on a single AC router solution?

Thanks in advance for your experienced advice!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
MRBMAN
Aspirant

Re: Suitability of Orbi RBK50 in two-story 2400 sq. ft. home with cable drop in middle of 2nd floor

Router will be mounted several feet above the floor on 2nd story, 14 ft. high ceilings on first floor (I didn't build it, just live in it).

I guess I will just have to give it a try if the units ever go on sale.

Thanks everyone for the input!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
loomis1975
Luminary

Yes the Orbi will work with a ethernet connected hub/switch (likely a switch in actuality, hubs aren't around much anymore).

Yes, this is a good application scenario for the Orbi.

I would just try to put the Satellite in the center of the house in the basement (maybe up high on a shelf top or something) for starters and go from there.  You might be very surprised at how well this works.  Move it up to the first floor if you don't get a good connection to the router.

The dedicated backhaul wireless signal between router and satellite has very good penetration and is, in my opinion, the best single feature of the Orbi.

Message 2 of 7

hi i assume your main wifi is in the comp room on 2nd floor and if so you getting pretty good coverage downstairs so the orbi system should talk between its router and sat well and you may find the sat then covers the basement as well

a single big honking wireless AC router is prob only going to improve the coverage moderatly , i assume you have no ethernet running down stairs from the computer room ?

if no ethernet the orbi is going to be a great solution

Message 3 of 7
MRBMAN
Aspirant

You are correct, it's a switch, not a hub.

Unfortunately, placing the satellite in the basement is just not possible - first floor placement is the only option as I stated in my original post.

I guess what I'm really asking is that if the satellite is positioned approximately 20 ft. directly below the router will this present a problem of any sort between the router and the satellilte?

Message 4 of 7
MRBMAN
Aspirant

Yes, mycurrent router is located next to the cable modem upstairs centrally located relative to the house.  This is also where the Orbi router would be placed.

As I stated in my rather long original post, no, there is no Ethernet downstairs.  My quandry is that all I really need is a little bit better distance and signal strength on 5GHz above and beyond what my current router provides (and of course not give up anything on 2.4GHZ) and I would be set.  I just can't determine from reviews that there is a single BHR that can definitively achieve that goal.  I'm also not willing to buy, install, and return units that don't achieve that goal.

The Orbi is the only solution that appears to meet my criteria, but it is so expensive...

Message 5 of 7
rhester72
Virtuoso

I'm confused as to why there is an anticipated 20ft vertical separation between two floors - wouldn't it be closer to 10ft?

If the latter, I ran that way for some time, and it was perfect - the backhaul radios are in the top of the unit and well-suited for vertical transmission.  20 feet may be a bit of a stretch.

Rodney

Message 6 of 7
MRBMAN
Aspirant

Router will be mounted several feet above the floor on 2nd story, 14 ft. high ceilings on first floor (I didn't build it, just live in it).

I guess I will just have to give it a try if the units ever go on sale.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7