Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Super annoying firmware V2.1.4.16 restarts my router frequently

ravitandon
Follower

Super annoying firmware V2.1.4.16 restarts my router frequently

I originally bought the RBK50 combo of a RBR50 & RBS50 for my condo and things worked great. Once I moved to a new home of tri-levels, I got another RBS50 so that each floor has its own mesh.

I have router RBR50 on the main floor connected directly to a fiber switch, and one of each RBS50 on top and basement floors. 

Ever since the firmware V2.1.4.16 hit my router and satellites, the wifi drops at least 2-3 times a day, sometimes it restarts and sometimes we have to power on-off to recover it.

I have tried downgrading the router 2-3 times to other firmware (down upto 2.0.074), 2 times factory reset everything, first the stupid system (it's my hate speaking now) goes back to latest version and I see no option to control that. The logs are useless on the system to figure out what's going on.

I do sometimes see the pink/magenta light on the new RBS50 that I later added, but why would it's sync failure casue the router system to crash is beyond me.

I am tired of my family calling when I am in office that internet is not working. For such a great company why is it so hard to provide a better way of manging a firmware or diagnostics.

I am a technical savvy person myself, so at this point, I really want a solid advice, or friendly advice to move to another company and never look back. For a system that I shelled $300+$150 ~ $500 I expected better reliability.

There is no ethernet backhaul or other load on the system, no disney and other things, just a single internet wire into the router which it needs to spread via satellite mesh.

Hoping for some pointers as I am unsure about my next steps here.

Sorry if this felt like rant, I am posting here after trying out everything and every setting and every recommendation posted in forums since last 2-3 weeks and finally had to resort to creating this post.

Tell me what logs and page scarpes you need to guide me, I will happily post them and keep it upto date.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: Super annoying firmware V2.1.4.16 restarts my router frequently

Here are some tips that worked for me and other folks on this community site:

1) Turn off all the devices connected to your ORBI system (or as many as possible). Do a factory reset of all the ORBI devices (Router & Satellites). Manually reload the latest firmware on each satellite first (One at a time). Manually reload the latest firmware on the router. Allow the system to "settle" 5-10 minutes. Re-sync the satellites if they're not showing a good connection. Turn on your devices one at a time starting with the ones you want connected to the router. Check the connection status of your devices after about 10-15 minutes.

2) DO NOT use the built-in speedtest to check your connection speed. Use a browser or smartphone app. (The built-in test has flaws that can throttle your speed.)

3) Check the channels set for 2.4 & 5 gHz frequencies. If you live in a densely populated area there may be interference. Try channel 1 or 6 for 2.4 gHz and 40 or 48 for 5 gHz. DO Not use auto.

4) Try moving the satellites a bit closer or farther from the router to prevent cross-talk. Also, turn OFF "Enable Dasiy Chain" in Advanced>Advanced Setup>Wireless Settings.

5) Search this forum for methods on how to telnet into the router to turn off auto updates.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Super annoying firmware V2.1.4.16 restarts my router frequently

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements