Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Super disappointed. Am I expecting too much?

surfer_pablo
Tutor

Super disappointed. Am I expecting too much?

I got an orbi system to deal with dead spots in our 2 BR/1200 sf condo.   I did not skimp! Got a base station and a sattelite.  About $400.  When Orbi works - which is about 75% of the time - its a good system. 

25% of the time, however, Orbi is infuriating.   Sometimes there's no connectivity and rebooting is the only remedy.  Sometimes one of the satellites will go offline (magenta light) for no apparent reason.  Usually it reconnects by  itself, but sometimes I have do a manual reset.  

But here's the worst part:  I have to discover and troubleshoot these problems on my own.   I expected this to be more of a self-healing sysetem.  If it can't be self healing, the app should at least monitor my network and tell me when there are problems. 

We are going on a 3 week vacation and I'm terrified leaving my network to Orbi.  We have numerous home automation and security devices connected to Orbi.  I'm predicting disaster when the network goes down again.  

Any suggestions are much appreciated. 

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded on the router? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? Any built in router here? 

For a small size place, you really shouldn't need a Satellite, however depends on placement of your router. How is you system placed? Please describe. What is the distance between the router and satellite? Too close between could cause problems

Any wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many and what channels are they using? 

What channels are you using? 

Try some of the following:

Set manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. Any unused channel on 5Ghz. 

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming. Can keep Beamforming enabled however you can see if anything changed with it disabled. 

Message 2 of 7
surfer_pablo
Tutor

@FURRYe38 Thanks for the troubleshotting tips.  I'm not intersted in messing around with the settings and I don't have time.  I just want a reliable system out of the box.  If I can't have that, I'd like it to at least be smart enough to tell me when there's a problem.  

Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

dilly dilly

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

There isnt any router that will tell you when there is a detailed problem or what the real problem is.

There is some user interaction needed. You need to find the time. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 7
surfer_pablo
Tutor

@FURRYe38 Wouldn't you find that helpful? I'm shocked  it doesn't exist.  Seems easy for netgear (or anyone else) to add to an app. 

On a related note, the Eero app will run diagonistics.  I've used this fearture and its very helpful.  Something else I wish Netgear would offer. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Well thats something that each MFr choose to put in. There are some items in Orbi that lets the user know if there is a problem, on the WAN side. Simple things more or less. Theres some debug stuff and logging as well, that users can access thru the debug web page. Again, this takes user intervestion to look at.

I presume it's all up to NG and what they choose to put in there products. If users don't find what NG offers enough or doesn't have what suites there needs, then it's up to users to find what does. I'm sure NG tries to please everyone, however sometimes they just can't I'm sure. Seems like you maybe one of these. 

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7