Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switching Orbi satellite from 5ghz to 2.4ghz

Itsspock
Follower

Switching Orbi satellite from 5ghz to 2.4ghz

Is it possible to change the default networks on the satellites? My satellite is only showing 5ghz. I want to switch the main hub to 5ghz and the satellite to the 2.4ghz. My video doorbell is closer to the satellite but it is only utilizing the 2.4ghz. Does any one know any possibility to change it?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: Switching Orbi satellite from 5ghz to 2.4ghz

Unfortunately, the satellites cannot be programmed with any different WiFi settings than the router.  I believe what you are experiencing is a race condition.  Any time that the Orbi system is rebooted, the router will have its WiFi signal enabled before the satellites do for any WiFi client.  In your case, the Ring doorbell sees the 2.4GHz signal from the router before the closer satellite has its WiFi enabled, so it will bind to the router.  IoT devices are not expected to roam like a smart phone, laptop or tablet, so an IoT device will not look for a better signal once it already has one.

You may be able to lower the power level of the 2.4GHz signal so that it is too weak for the video doorbell to use, then it should bind to the satellite instead as long as the satellite signal is also strong enough.  You can experiment with this and see.

I have a similar situation with a smart garage door opener and a WiFi security camera in my garage that are close to a satellite, but far from the router.  Anytime the router reboots, satellites also reboot, so the IoT devices bind to the weaker WiFi from the router instead of to the closer signal from the satellite.  The only workaround I have to "correct" this is to then power-cycle reboot the camera and smart garage door opener, then they bind to the closer satellite.  I reported this issue to NG while I still had support, and there is no means of them fixing this issue.  I would bet that other mesh router systems from other vendors would also have this same design flaw.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7