× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switching from 2.45GHz to 5GHz using Orbi Control Panel

BobSim1
Aspirant

Switching from 2.45GHz to 5GHz using Orbi Control Panel

Hello.

I have several systems attached to my Orbi and satellies around the house in various locations.  On the Orbi Control Panel on my iPhone some of the systems (PC, iPhone, Printer, etc) show up under the 2.4GHz list and some under the 5.0GHz list.  Is there a way for me to move one of the systems from the 2.4GHz to the 5GHZ using the Control Panel?  Or is there another way to move the system from the 2.4GHz to the 5GHZ?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Switching from 2.45GHz to 5GHz using Orbi Control Panel

@BobSim1 wrote:

Is there a way for me to move one of the systems from the 2.4GHz to the 5GHZ using the Control Panel?  Or is there another way to move the system from the 2.4GHz to the 5GHZ?

There is no method to have the Orbi router assign a device to a frequency.  When the device attempts to connect to WiFi (any brand of WiFi), there is an 802.11 standard "dialog" that  takes place between the device and the access point where each advertises capabilities.  For example, "I can do 802.11/b/g/n but not 802.11ac."  After the dialog, the device selects how to connect.  Some devices are designed to monitor for changes in the WiFi environment and reevaluate.  (Mostly devices that "move", such as smartphones, laptops, tablets.)  Other devices are not programmed that way.  Once they select a WiFi connection, they tend to stick with it until it totally disappears.

One technique that seems to work is to use the device control panel to disconnect and "forget" the Orbi WiFi, search for WiFi again, enter the Orbii password, and reconnect.

Message 2 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

There is no way for you to move them from 2.4 to 5 or 5 to 2.4Ghz. The connection speed is going to be determined by the device's speed support and how far a device is from the router or satellites. 

If you feel a device is a 5Ghz device and it is connecting 2.4Ghz, go to the devices network settings and forget the wifi network, then rejoin.

Message 3 of 5
BobSim1
Aspirant

Thanks for the explanation!  I will try the off/on with the wifi connection to see if it clicks into 5 GHz.  Either way, I am getting a good signal but would certainly prefer 5 GHz if possible.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@BobSim1 wrote:

Thanks for the explanation!  I will try the off/on with the wifi connection to see if it clicks into 5 GHz.  Either way, I am getting a good signal but would certainly prefer 5 GHz if possible.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7