Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

TAP mode not supported OpenVPN Client V3 - How to install

jkaterenchuk
Aspirant

TAP mode not supported OpenVPN Client V3 - How to install

I am trying trying setup VPN to my ORBI.  Followed the instruction and downloaded OpenVPN Connect Client V3.  After install there is no Config directory in the OpenVPN folder on Windows to copy over the files downloaded from the ORBI VPN config page.  None the less I tried to use the OpenVPN client to browse for the config file which if finds but upon import it say "TAP mode not supported".  There does not seem to be a way to turn TAP mode off on the ORBI VPN config page.

Is there a work around?

Is OpenVPN V3 not compatible with ORBI?

Once I get it working for one ORBI site I want to also load a client for VPN to another ORBI site on the same laptop but there is no instruction on the ORBI VPN page on how to setup multiple clients.  If I copy over the second site config files they just over write the first site files.  How can this be accomplish so that I can sellect which site I want to establish a VPN tunnel with?

John

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: TAP mode not supported OpenVPN Client V3 - How to install

@jkaterenchuk wrote:

I am trying trying setup VPN to my ORBI.  Followed the instruction and downloaded OpenVPN Connect Client V3.  After install there is no Config directory in the OpenVPN folder on Windows to copy over the files downloaded from the ORBI VPN config page.  None the less I tried to use the OpenVPN client to browse for the config file which if finds but upon import it say "TAP mode not supported".  There does not seem to be a way to turn TAP mode off on the ORBI VPN config page.

Is there a work around?

Is OpenVPN V3 not compatible with ORBI?

Once I get it working for one ORBI site I want to also load a client for VPN to another ORBI site on the same laptop but there is no instruction on the ORBI VPN page on how to setup multiple clients.  If I copy over the second site config files they just over write the first site files.  How can this be accomplish so that I can sellect which site I want to establish a VPN tunnel with?

John

I, also, found OpenVPN a challenge, and I also wanted to VPN into two different Orbi systems.  I downloaded the free tunXten software for Windows.  It found the downloaded OpenVPN files and set up shortcuts to both.

tap is the preferred VPN setting for Windows.  Smartphones and "ithings" will only work with run tunnels.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7