× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: To daisy-chain or not to daisy-chain?

obadz
Aspirant

To daisy-chain or not to daisy-chain?

I have an RBR40, an RBS20 and two RBS40s. Firmware is V2.2.1.210 on all.

I have disabled "Daisy-Chain Topology" in "Wireless Settings" and yet, my satelites are bouncing off another. (At least according to the "Connected Orbi" column of the "Attached Devices" screen—that's the correct place to look, right?)

Mind you they seem to be in a star topology, but the center of the star is the RBS20, not the router!

Is that expected?

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
Gushinky234
Aspirant

From What I read, I don't think you can control which one connects to the other on the daisy-chain.

When a signal from another satellite is stronger than that of the router, the other satellite will chain through that satellite instead of the router.  There is no real way to unequivocally connect two satellites.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

@obadz wrote:

I have an RBR40, an RBS20 and two RBS40s. Firmware is V2.2.1.210 on all.

I have disabled "Daisy-Chain Topology" in "Wireless Settings" and yet, my satelites are bouncing off another. (At least according to the "Connected Orbi" column of the "Attached Devices" screen—that's the correct place to look, right?)

Mind you they seem to be in a star topology, but the center of the star is the RBS20, not the router!

Is that expected?

Message 3 of 5
obadz
Aspirant

But I have daisy chain turned *off*…

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. So be sure that the UI on the Router has a check mark for Daisy Chain, this means it will be disabled in FW. 

@obadz wrote:

But I have daisy chain turned *off*…

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series