Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Tried firmware update - troubleOrbi RBR50 with 3 RBS50 showing no internet and all showing magenta

mlkri
Aspirant

Tried firmware update - troubleOrbi RBR50 with 3 RBS50 showing no internet and all showing magenta

Have RBR50 Router with 3 RBS50 Satellites. Everything was fine until tried latest firmware update to V2.3.1.60. Have rolled back but now showing no internet and all untis magenta.

Arrius surfboard modem (modem only no wifi or router functions) Cox highspeed internet 300 down/30 up

Router is Netgear Gaming - XR700

RBR50 Orbi is set up for use as AP - Access Point. 

RBS50 satellites in upper and lower level of house all within 20-30 feet from router except it has to travel through walls, floors (wood, wallboard, no plaster)

Have had issues with automatic firmware update before so have downloaded all recent firmwares and too off the auto update in favor of manual. Everything was working fine on firmware V2.3.1.44 - but it said there was a new one and I thought I'd give it a try so I hit the update all button.

It updated the RBR50 "router" but not the satellites and then that was the end of the internet. 

I rolled back the RBR50 "router" to V2.3.1.44 which matched the satellites but they were all magenta now and no longer will connect. 

There are NO boxes to select to update them manually, they only appear on automatic page with router and there is no connection now to work with them.

I have unplugged and rebooted all day long. I've tried manually updating to V2.3.1.60 to see if it would give me the boxes to manually do the satellites, NO. I rolled the RBR50 Router back to V2.3.1.44 where it matches the satellites. They all show they are connected with good connections but everything had a megenta ring.

I am writing this using the wifi internet connection to the RBR50 Router, yet it says it has no internet connection and in truth the plugs that come out of it are not connected as the the gear I have attached is not seeing the internet at all (Xbox one x for example) . 

In the weirdest twist that I don't understand - it says there is no internet connection, yet as I say I AM using it to write this, but the wifi connected things like Amazon Echos and smart plugs are NOT connecting and say they cannot connect. Some of them are usually connected to satellites, but even the ones in the main room with the RBR50 (where I am connected and writing) are saying they are not connected to the internet.

The network itself is working. The satellite downstairs is passing tv programs from the upstairs Tivo Bolt to the downstairs Tivo mini using the network wifi but there is no external internet connection available.

The Xbox says it cannot connect because it cannot connect to DHCP server. Yet the DHCP on the LAN port box of the RBR50 says it is on and connected to an IP address that appears to be the one Cox internet has provided me. The DHCP on the XR700 Router is also on. So it seems it is just internet is not getting through to the RBR50 router - except I am writing on its wifi connection????

I have read so many threads today and tried many things. I factory reset one of the satellites, but then I couldn't get it to add to the router. It said it was successful, the ring turned blue and stayed that way a minute, then turned magenta.

My next idea is to roll back to Firmware  2.3.0.32 and see if it gives me any boxes to roll back the satellites and try to proceed from there.

Questions - 

I am open to all ideas, but my knowledge is somewhat limited in how to do things manually (telnet and such)

If I factory reset the whole thing and start over, does that set them all back to the firmware they had when I bought them? I would need to not just reet up the whole network but then manually update all firmware one by one? 

Thank you for slogging through all this and offering any assistance. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Tried firmware update - troubleOrbi RBR50 with 3 RBS50 showing no internet and all showing mage

@mlkri wrote:

If I factory reset the whole thing and start over, does that set them all back to the firmware they had when I bought them?

No.  Factory Reset will only reset the current firmware setttings back to defaults.  It will not revert current firmware to previous version.

I would need to not just reet up the whole network but then manually update all firmware one by one? 

I would turn off all the Satellites.  Then turn on the closest one.  Once that works, turn it off and turn on the 2nd Satellite, rinse and repeat for the remaining Satellites.  Once the final Satellite is back in working order, then turn all of them back on.  Give them ~10mins to reach steady state.

Have had issues with automatic firmware update before...

If you had issues updating Satellites firmware from the Router, it could be an issue with your Backhaul.  You might have to move your Satellites around to improve backhaul signal in order to avoid this problem going forward.

Here is an example of how I managed my Satellites placement initially.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 5
mlkri
Aspirant

Re: Tried firmware update - troubleOrbi RBR50 with 3 RBS50 showing no internet and all showing mage

Thank you - I proceeded to work on it late into the night. I reset the RB50 router/ap to factory and then started again. I ended getting it working with the V2.3.1.44 firmware which is what the orbi satellites also had. Then I tried to attach the satellite I had factory reset and I got the same response. It all looked good, attached then blue light (meaning good) and after about 1 to 2 minutes, it went magenta (bad). I gave up for the night - router/ap was working, satellites were not working but were plugged in yet turned off.

Overnight it apparently autoupdated to the new firmware V2.3.1.60 and was not working when I got up. I saw it had auto updated so I went on and rolled it back manually to V2.3.1.44 and got the router/ap working again. Then I checked the firmware page - the 3 satellites (which were connected but turned off) had also autoupdated to V2.3.1.60 !!!  

Did the telnet into the router/ap to turn off the autoupdate as seen here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

restarted all and it is still wanting to update to V2.3.1.60 - it is reporting the satellites are on that firmware so what the heck it isn't stable anyway, I updated the RBR50 router/ap to V2.3.1.60. Restarted all and it WORKED! Full internet wifi and wired from the router. Now turn on the satellites. All 3 reported as connected and good backhaul (wireless) in the dashboard orbilogin from the computer. The router/ap had an ip address within my system as an AP should. Each satellite had a separate IP address and all was great. Full internet speed.

On the app it reported the 4 pieces but everything magenta. But it was working! All smart things in the house started coming to life. Lovely. 

10 minutes later. .. notice my phone has switched to LTE. Well it was good while it lasted.

At this time.

RBR50 is in AP mode with an IP address within my system. It is reporting good internet and I am connected to it via wifi while I write this (to the internet).

The 3 RBS50 satellites are all reporting good connection and backhaul. However they are all magenta and they are all on the SAME IP address. They are not sending wifi signal because several things that were connected are no longer as they can't reach the router.

The WIFI choices in my phone say that this network - which I am connected to via wifi on the computer I am writing this on- has no internet.

Internally, the things that can reach the router/ap are working with the network, switches, amazon echos etc. HOWEVER the phones and anything that was connected to a satellite is reporting NO INTERNET. 

Very frustrating - any ideas appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@mlkri wrote:

... It all looked good, attached then blue light (meaning good) and after about 1 to 2 minutes, it went magenta (bad)...

It's okay for each Satellite to switch between Blue and Magenta for short period of time.  This is expected since it's acquiring IP address from the Router in this window.  If it's still stuck at Magenta after 5mins, then it has failed.  When that happens, your WiFi network is dead in the water.  That often points to weak Backhaul between Orbi and Satellite.  You could head over here to check out the backhaul signal and try to improve it.

Overnight it apparently autoupdated to the new firmware V2.3.1.60 and was not working when I got up. I saw it had auto updated so I went on and rolled it back manually to V2.3.1.44 and got the router/ap working again. Then I checked the firmware page - the 3 satellites (which were connected but turned off) had also autoupdated to V2.3.1.60 !!!  

Did the telnet into the router/ap to turn off the autoupdate as seen here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

Well, if you did this, it meant that firmware auto-update is still alive and kicking.  It also meant that this method doesn't work for all users.  However, there's another method to disable auto-firmware update via Orbi UI that can be found here.  FWIW, my Orbi system did not auto-updated itself from 2.3.1.48 to 2.3.1.60 with this method.

restarted all and it is still wanting to update to V2.3.1.60 - it is reporting the satellites are on that firmware so what the heck it isn't stable anyway, I updated the RBR50 router/ap to V2.3.1.60. Restarted all and it WORKED! Full internet wifi and wired from the router. Now turn on the satellites. All 3 reported as connected and good backhaul (wireless) in the dashboard orbilogin from the computer. The router/ap had an ip address within my system as an AP should. Each satellite had a separate IP address and all was great. Full internet speed.

On the app it reported the 4 pieces but everything magenta. But it was working! All smart things in the house started coming to life. Lovely. 

This is good news, because it implies that there's no wireless connection issue with clients and Orbi Satellites.  We just need to fix the backhaul between Router/Satellites.

10 minutes later. .. notice my phone has switched to LTE. Well it was good while it lasted.

At this time.

RBR50 is in AP mode with an IP address within my system. It is reporting good internet and I am connected to it via wifi while I write this (to the internet).

The 3 RBS50 satellites are all reporting good connection and backhaul. However they are all magenta and they are all on the SAME IP address. They are not sending wifi signal because several things that were connected are no longer as they can't reach the router.

That's a sign of stale configs that are not being updated correctly between Orbi/Satellites.  How did you setup your Orbi Satellites IP address?  Is it via DHCP or IP reservation?

Can you provide a screent shot for Attached Devices if possible?

The WIFI choices in my phone say that this network - which I am connected to via wifi on the computer I am writing this on- has no internet.

Internally, the things that can reach the router/ap are working with the network, switches, amazon echos etc. HOWEVER the phones and anything that was connected to a satellite is reporting NO INTERNET. 

Did you happen to see ! in the middle of the WiFi fan before it switches to LTE?  This was a result of stale configs in the Orbi where it had trouble resolving MAC address to IP address quickly.

Try this:

Turn off all Satellites, while sitting next to the Orbi, turn the WiFi off on the phone for 5-10 minutes so that the Orbi will forget about it. Then turn it back on.  If thing works well afterward, turn on the first Satellite and wait.  Check the backhaul between Orbi/Satellite via Orbi App.  If it's anything other than "green", move that Satellite closer/around until it's green.  Then turn off WiFi on your phone and walk over that Satellite, turn on WiFi, and wait.  If thing still works well, move on to the next Satellite, rinse and repeat.

Please reserve different IP address for each Satellite to help troubleshooting.  These Satellites should have different IP address if your backhaul is not in trouble or in working order.

Message 4 of 5
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@mlkri , while you're testing, please disable "Fast Roaming" if it's enabled to avoid bouncing between Orib/Satellites.  You can re-enable "Fast Roaming" once your Orbi WiFi network is back in working order.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7