Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Troubleshooting RBS50Y in Wifi Extender mode with R7000

arrrroooooo
Aspirant

Troubleshooting RBS50Y in Wifi Extender mode with R7000

With my outdoor RBS50Y in wifi extender mode synced to my home network R7000 and reusing the same network names (SSD), I'm having disruptions to the networking inside the house. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting these issues - could someone point me at a basic guide? All firmware is up to date.

It seems like wifi devices are trying to connect to the outdoor extender instead of the indoor network, even when in proximity to the R7000, and then are having obvious connectivity issues. But that's just a guess. My hope is that device (laptop, cellphone) would seamlessly switch from the indoor signal to the wifi extender.

When I bought the RBS50Y, I'm fairly certain I confirmed that it was compatible with the R7000, but now I can't find the compatibility list.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Troubleshooting RBS50Y in Wifi Extender mode with R7000

There is "compatible" and then there is "entirely compatible".  When used as part of an Orbi system, the RBS50Y acts like all the other Orbi satellites.  Devices can roam between them.  This is "entirely compatible".  The RBS50Y can also be connected to almost any brand of WiFi system as an outdoor access point.  This is "compatible" in the sense that any other WiFi extender is, with the advantage of being outdoor rated.  A $50 WiFi access point from any vendor will connect to a R7000 and be "compatible", but devices will not roam betweeen the R7000 and the access point.

Sound like you made an expensive purchase and are not experiencing the reason "mesh" systems (like Orbi) are so popular.

Sorry.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7