Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Two Orbi routers in the same Orbi network

haolik
Follower

Two Orbi routers in the same Orbi network

Hello!
I have an older Orbi RBK 50 router and a satellite from autumn 2018 and now I bought a bit newer RBK 50 router and a satellite. I tried to study how to use another router in AP mode connected to the other router, but I just did not figure it out how I get both routers to work in the same orbi network. I connected the new router to the internet router. I changed the old router to AP mode and connected it with ethernet cable to the new router. The end result is that the AP mode router is still in its own orbi network and the new router in its own. My purpose was to have the old router now in AP mode to ”extend” the new router in order to have better new router coverage and all working in the same orbi network. Have I misunderstood something here and what should I do to het everything working in the same orbi network, so that I do not have to change between networks to get the best wifi available in the relevat location? Thanks!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
vajim
Master

I believe your problem is related to your misunderstanding of how networks are extended 

Even if you were able to make the 2 routers work (and I'm sure others in here will guide you to a solution) using 2 routers may not be any better than how the satellites work with router itself 

Good luck 

Message 2 of 5
alokeprasad
Mentor

I understand your approach and would like to see how to make a RBK50 router behave like a satellite.  I don't think thats possibe, though.  Maybe you can disable the wifi on the new router and use it as a 4 port switch. Seems like a waste.

Buying satellites by themselves is horribly expensive.  Paying like $20 more gets you a whole RBK50 kit, which seems like a better deal.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Two RBRs can't only work in router or AP mode. RBRs can not work at satellites thus will always have there own wireless Network. You can have two wireless networks however can be problematic if not configured well. 

@haolik wrote:
Hello!
I have an older Orbi RBK 50 router and a satellite from autumn 2018 and now I bought a bit newer RBK 50 router and a satellite. I tried to study how to use another router in AP mode connected to the other router, but I just did not figure it out how I get both routers to work in the same orbi network. I connected the new router to the internet router. I changed the old router to AP mode and connected it with ethernet cable to the new router. The end result is that the AP mode router is still in its own orbi network and the new router in its own. My purpose was to have the old router now in AP mode to ”extend” the new router in order to have better new router coverage and all working in the same orbi network. Have I misunderstood something here and what should I do to het everything working in the same orbi network, so that I do not have to change between networks to get the best wifi available in the relevat location? Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
vajim
Master

As stated in the OP, if you're looking to extend your network, I don't think you can get there from here. All of the advice offered thus far, as good as it may appear, WiFi has its basic limitations.  

One router with several satellites will always be limited by the original signal strength from the router.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7