Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to access network shares since installing Orbi

richtea
Tutor

Unable to access network shares since installing Orbi

I replaced my ASUS RT-AC87U with an Orbi RBR50 a few weeks ago. Since then, I have been unable to access any network shares on my Synology NAS. Whenever I try to connect (either SMB or AFP from Mac, and SMB from Windows) the connection times out. I can access the NAS unit via HTTP in a browser, so the routing is working fine. 

RBR50 is running V2.3.0.32 as is the RBS50 satellite. The problem existed prior to the upgrade too. 

Setup is an EE Brightbox as a modem/router, with the RBR50 set as DMZ (the EE Brightbox cannot operate in bridge mode).

I have tried disabling and re-enabling uPnP as per this other thread, without success. 

Any suggestions welcome - I am considering returning the Orbi and reverting to the ASUS, since I need network shares more than WiFi coverage in remote parts of my home. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Sircozak
Aspirant

If you can't connect to the share using the IP address then clearly the problem is not dns.

Sounds like a firewall is blocking traffic to the smb share, do you have the firewall enabled on the nas?

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

@richtea wrote:

Setup is an EE Brightbox as a modem/router, with the RBR50 set as DMZ (the EE Brightbox cannot operate in bridge mode).

Do you mean Orbi is in AP Mode? Please confirm

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Be sure all devices are connected to the orbi system and not the ISP modem. 

@richtea wrote:

I replaced my ASUS RT-AC87U with an Orbi RBR50 a few weeks ago. Since then, I have been unable to access any network shares on my Synology NAS. Whenever I try to connect (either SMB or AFP from Mac, and SMB from Windows) the connection times out. I can access the NAS unit via HTTP in a browser, so the routing is working fine. 

RBR50 is running V2.3.0.32 as is the RBS50 satellite. The problem existed prior to the upgrade too. 

I have tried disabling and re-enabling uPnP as per this other thread, without success. 

Any suggestions welcome - I am considering returning the Orbi and reverting to the ASUS, since I need network shares more than WiFi coverage in remote parts of my home. 

Message 3 of 14
richtea
Tutor

Thanks for the replies. 

The Orbi is in Router mode. The EE Brightbox (EEBB) doesn’t have a bridge mode, but the Orbi is configured as DMZ on the EEBB. However, the problem is all on the LAN side so I can’t see how that would affect things. 

The NAS is connected to the Orbi by Ethernet, and the Windows PC is connected by Ethernet, so I don’t think WiFi is the issue here. I could turn off WiFi on the EEBB but I don’t think it will make a difference, the Mac is connected to the Orbi SSID. The Orbi and the EEBB have different SSIDs and different IP ranges, so I can be sure which one I’m connected to. 

To be clear - while connected to the Orbi network, either by WiFi or Ethernet cable, I can connect to the NAS via HTTP at http://hanuman.local or at http://10.0.0.2, but when I type either of those addresses in for a file share, it times out. E.g. typing \\10.0.0.2\home on PC, or connecting to smb:hanuman.local in Finder on the Mac. 

The server’s name is mapped to 10.0.0.2 by hosts file, in case you’re interested. With the ASUS I could use the DNS feature on the NAS to avoid that hassle, yet another limitation of the Orbi is that it doesn’t support local DNS servers...

Message 4 of 14
BBB73
Apprentice

Hi, regarding local DNS servers: via Advanced > Setup > Internet Setup I have my Synology NAS as first priority for DNS server. Works very well for me. Have you tried this?

Message 5 of 14
richtea
Tutor

Hi BBB73, yes I have tried that, but no luck, the DNS names don't resolve. Running scutil --dns on the Mac indicates that it has configured itself (10.0.0.1) as the DNS resolver.

Message 6 of 14
quagmire1
Luminary

@richtea wrote:

Hi BBB73, yes I have tried that, but no luck, the DNS names don't resolve. Running scutil --dns on the Mac indicates that it has configured itself (10.0.0.1) as the DNS resolver.

I've got a Synology DS218+ and an RBK50. Both my Synology and my Windows 10 PC are connected to the RBR50 by Ethernet cable.  I have no problem accessing the Synology from my PC using UNC notation - either by IP address or server name.

One  thing comes to mind - I have set a static IP address on the Synology, and then done a DHCP address reservation on the router for that IP address. Have you done that?

Message 7 of 14
BBB73
Apprentice

@richtea wrote:

Hi richtea,

on my Apple devices I also see the Orbi IP as DNS server but in my situation I can validate that the synology DNS is used for name resolution.

Message 8 of 14
richtea
Tutor

Hi @quagmire1 nice to know it’s working for someone!

The NAS is set up for DHCP rather than a static IP, but I have configured an address reservation on the Orbi so it always gets 10.0.0.2 - and since I can connect via a browser that must be working. Plus I ran a packet trace today from the debug page, and although most of it was gibberish to me, I could tell that the NAS has the correct IP. 

Message 9 of 14
richtea
Tutor

@BBB73 how do you validate that the Synology DNS is used? Is there a diagnostic command I could try, or do you just know it’s working it because of successful name resolution?

Message 10 of 14
Sircozak
Aspirant

If you can't connect to the share using the IP address then clearly the problem is not dns.

Sounds like a firewall is blocking traffic to the smb share, do you have the firewall enabled on the nas?
Message 11 of 14
ekhalil
Master

Do you happen to have Access Control enabled?

Message 12 of 14
BBB73
Apprentice

@richtea wrote:

@BBB73 how do you validate that the Synology DNS is used? Is there a diagnostic command I could try, or do you just know it’s working it because of successful name resolution?

Hi @richtea , I have a registered domain that links to my external IP address but is in my Synology DNS linked to an internal IP. If I ping the domain name while on my network and it returns the internal IP, I know it is going via the Synology DNS.

Message 13 of 14
richtea
Tutor

@Sircozak good call! I just checked and the firewall was set to block, but allow for local network. However, when I installed the Orbi, the local subnet changed from a 192.168.0 address range to a 10.0.0 - new rule added - problem solved!

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7