Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to create 2.4 SSID because Mac no longer has telnet

mrhoni
Aspirant

Unable to create 2.4 SSID because Mac no longer has telnet

My Orbi has been up and running for a few years with just one SSID.  I have a situation where I need to create a 2.4ghz SSID, however newer Mac OS no longer includes Telnet to allow me to continue the steps to create the SSID.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

There are probably many ways to install telnet on Macs.  Here is the first link I found:

http://osxdaily.com/2018/07/18/get-telnet-macos/ 

If it's not too personal, could you please identify the reason behind needing to create a separate SSID for the 2.4G WiFi network.  If it is to install a specific product, people on the forum may have found a way to do that.  There is a concern that since it is not officially supported, Netgear may eventually take away the "hack" of splitting SSID's.

Message 2 of 15
mrhoni
Aspirant

I'm working with Nest support for my cameras.  The cameras can do 5ghz and 2.4ghz.  The notifications of, example, a person coming to the front door are slow in arriving.  The suspicion from some wifi scanner screenshots is that the 5ghz channels are croweded, while the 2.4gz is not as crowded.  By creating a 2.4ghz ssid we should be able to force the cameras to that ssid and then test the response.  If the notification response was more like it should be then we'd possibly want to have the cameras stay on 2.4ghz.

Message 3 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@mrhoni wrote:

I'm working with Nest support for my cameras.  The cameras can do 5ghz and 2.4ghz.  The notifications of, example, a person coming to the front door are slow in arriving.  The suspicion from some wifi scanner screenshots is that the 5ghz channels are crowded, while the 2.4gz is not as crowded.  By creating a 2.4ghz ssid we should be able to force the cameras to that ssid and then test the response.  If the notification response was more like it should be then we'd possibly want to have the cameras stay on 2.4ghz.

Are you able to "live view" the Nest cameras?  It would seem to me that if the 5G channel is so impacted that an alert message cannot get through, then live video should be horribly impacted, since even one second of live view is many (many) times more data than an alert.

You could try one work-around first:  temporarily disable the SSID broadcast on the 5G channel, then reconfigure the Nest (erase the Orbi WiFi name, search for WiFi, discover "look, there's my Orbi", and connect.)  Many devices will connect to the 2.4G WiFi channel and remain there.  Then, reenable the 5G broadcast.

I think we have lots of people with Nest cameras on Orbi.  Might search the forum for comments.  (Search box in upper left of page.)

It's a pretty simple test and doesn't require loading up software, hacking at the Orbi, etc.

Anyway, good luck!

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Load up Zoc for Mac. Nice telnet program for OSX. emtec.com

@mrhoni wrote:

My Orbi has been up and running for a few years with just one SSID.  I have a situation where I need to create a 2.4ghz SSID, however newer Mac OS no longer includes Telnet to allow me to continue the steps to create the SSID.

Message 5 of 15
mrhoni
Aspirant

I tried that but did not work. I disabled the broadcast but to change the Nest WiFi you use your phone. I forgot the orbi network on the phone then using Nest app I go to select the WiFi network. Orbi was the choice. Camera was still on 5ghz. Probably because Nest can use both 5 and 2.4ghz, just like the iPhone can.
Message 6 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@mrhoni wrote:
I tried that but did not work. I disabled the broadcast but to change the Nest WiFi you use your phone. I forgot the orbi network on the phone then using Nest app I go to select the WiFi network. Orbi was the choice. Camera was still on 5ghz. Probably because Nest can use both 5 and 2.4ghz, just like the iPhone can.

If the Nest needs to connect at 2.4G, it is the Nest that has to "forget" the Orbi SSID - while the Orbi is not broadcasting SSID on 5G.  Did you have to input the Orbi password again on the Nest?

I have some security cameras with PIR sensors (not Nest), and a common complaint is that they are slow to recognize "motion" when it is coming straight at the camera.  Much faster when the motion is going "across" the field of view.

Message 7 of 15
mrhoni
Aspirant

The Nest app on the iPhone displays a list of networks to switch to and there is no forget.  The iPhone displays the Orbi network and that's what I have to choose.  Between the iPhone and the Nest app and camera they must be taking the 5ghz because of the ability to still "see" the 5ghz band.  This is why Nest support suggested to have the Orbi display 2 SSIDs.

Message 8 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

If there is no "forget", them choose one of the other networks, enter some password, and get rejected.  Then, select the Orbi WiFi and enter the password.

Here's another thought:  Although I am not a fan of the Orbi "app", it has one feature that I find more useful than the Orbi web interface. On the Device Management display, selecting a specific device brings up details about the device, including the "Link Rate".  For example, the TP-Link smart plug that controls the heating pad under my cat's bed in the garage is now connected at 2.4G at Link Rate 72Mbps. The tablet I am using for the Orbi app is at %G at 433Mbps.

What rate is this Nest cam connected at?

Although I remain unsold that the 5G network is SO congested that an alert message is delayed, It won't hurt to try the "telnet thing"  Either it will work and things will improve, or it won't and it can be "undone".  Even if telnet messes up the Orbi, all it takes is a "factory reset" to undo everything.  Of course, "everything" also means it has to be set up from scratch again.

Message 9 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

By the way, I  did a Google search for "Nest camera alert delayed" or "Nest notification delayed" and got more hits than I expected. Apparently there is a "cool down" period when the Nest thinks it has sent too many notifications. 

I understand your frustration.  I tried some battery security cameras and switched them out after I realized that by the time they "woke up" and began recording, the delivery guy had already left the package and walked away.  I believe the Nest has a conventional power supply, so it doesn't have THAT problem, but every brand of security camera has LOTS of "issues."

Message 10 of 15
mrhoni
Aspirant

One camera is 780 Mbps and the other is 650 Mbps

Message 11 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

I worked in networking for some time, and was amazed at how often people who were "supposed to know stuff" would attempt to pin the blame for some problem on something, and be totally incorrect.

With connection rates like this. With "live stream" working fine.  I find it hard to swallow that forcing the cameras to the 2.4G WiFi channel, where the connection rate MUST BE LOWER is the solution.

We had a rule: "When the user says there's a problem, there IS a problem."  Something is causing notifications to be delayed.  My search would be toward something to do with the Nest.  When my cable TV "tuning adapter" goes wierd, I just call Spectrum over and over until I get a tech support person who says, "Oh, I see what the problem is."

Perhaps gather some more data.  Is it every notification that is delayed?  Is there a "cooling off" period where the Nest thinks it has sent too many alerts and goes quiet for five minutes?  Is it only certain alerts that are delayed?  At a certain time of day?

Message 12 of 15
mrhoni
Aspirant

Every notification is delayed.  It can take 15 seconds or more.  Live feed is only about a second delay.  If there is multiple movement it will go into a mode where it won't send notifications for some minutes.  I have done a test where I open the front door and count how long for the notification to appear.  

I think the Nest tech said that when the camera detects a person or motion there is some communication with their servers where the video is stored and the notification comes from that route, but I"m not positive.

I have other devices but don't know exactly how they communicate their notifications.  Most of those devices are on 2.4ghz and the notifications are all faster than the Nest.  Garage door, alarm system, Sprinker system, 

For example I have a GE dishwasher that connects at 2.4ghz to my Orbi and when the wash is done, I get a notification very quickly, maybe in a second.  

I have an Arlo camera that communicates to an Arlo Hub that is connected to my Orbi wifi.  I haven't checked what ghz it is on.  

Message 13 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@mrhoni wrote:

I think the Nest tech said that when the camera detects a person or motion there is some communication with their servers where the video is stored and the notification comes from that route, but I"m not positive.

From the little I have read about Nest, "person detection" might require a subscription?

I had thought "how hard can it be to see what kind of motion sensor the Nest has?"

Well, it turns out to be more difficult that I imagined.

I agree with your analysis.  15 seconds is unusable.  My alarm system has an email to my phone within two seconds of my hitting the "Home" button on the key fob.  There is no way a $200 camera should be taking 15 seconds.  If everything else connected to the Orbi is getting messages through in seconds, that points me toward the Nest (and the Nest "cloud").  If it cost under $25, I would buy one and test it.  (Did that with the Wyze camera.  What fun!)

I don't hold out much hope, but you can certainly try the telnet hack and see if it helps.

Message 14 of 15
mrhoni
Aspirant

Its a $400 camera! 

I'll see what Nest says next.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation