Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unknown wlan0 devices on 2.4 ghz Orbi network

wap1
Aspirant

Unknown wlan0 devices on 2.4 ghz Orbi network

On my RBR750 router with two wireless mesh satellites (Orbi RBK752 system), I occasionally see two devices connected to the 2.4 ghz wireless network, and they are both labeled “wlan0”. What are these? Are they associated with the satellites? All other devices in the house are accounted for in the devices list, but I don’t know what the wlan0’s are.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Unknown wlan0 devices on 2.4 ghz Orbi network

@wap1 wrote:
On my RBR750 router with two wireless mesh satellites (Orbi RBK752 system), I occasionally see two devices connected to the 2.4 ghz wireless network, and they are both labeled “wlan0”. What are these? Are they associated with the satellites? All other devices in the house are accounted for in the devices list, but I don’t know what the wlan0’s are.

Do these devices appear in the Orbi 'app' or in the web interface Attached Devices page?

The next time they appear, you can record the MAC address of each and look up the manufacturer of the wireless chip at this web site:

https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@wap1 wrote:

Do these devices appear in the Orbi 'app' or in the web interface Attached Devices page?

The next time they appear, you can record the MAC address of each and look up the manufacturer of the wireless chip at this web site:

https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html 

Message 3 of 6
wap1
Aspirant

They appear on the Orbi app.

Thanks.
Message 4 of 6
wap1
Aspirant

That MAC address lookup did the trick and made me realize what the wlan0’s are. Here’s a facepalm moment: A few months ago we picked up a couple of smart light bulbs for cheap, but have been using them as just regular lamp bulbs. Of course, when the lamps are on, they’re on the network. When they’re off, they’re not. Hence, two devices both named wlan0 that come and go seemingly randomly.

Thanks for the help, wish I had thought of this earlier!
Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@wap1 wrote:
That MAC address lookup did the trick and made me realize what the wlan0’s are. Here’s a facepalm moment: A few months ago we picked up a couple of smart light bulbs for cheap, but have been using them as just regular lamp bulbs. Of course, when the lamps are on, they’re on the network. When they’re off, they’re not. Hence, two devices both named wlan0 that come and go seemingly randomly.

This might be a good time to go into the app and define names for these bulbs so that you will recognize them in the future.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7