Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Update V1.9.1.12 Netgear officially announcing 'Improvement in wireless connection Stability'

fbraz50
Apprentice

Re: Update V1.9.1.12 Netgear officially announcing 'Improvement in wireless connection Stability'

That doesn't sound good.

Message 101 of 266
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We've been putting in significant work on these disconnect issues and wireless stability and every new release typically has improvements in it.  The challenge is that there are literally thousands of devices running multiple versions of software that a router or WiFi System needs to work with, and occassionally interoperability issues arise as the two systems try to talk to each other.  When that happens, rest assured that we're working very hard to stay on top of these issues and solve them.  

When we come up with a proposed fix, we always want to test out our fixes in a real-world environment, before rolling it out for everyone and we use the beta program for that.  At this stage, we think we have a solution for some of them but we want to test it out in a smaller environment.  If you're interested in helping us, please feel free to contact Support.  

Thanks,

Orbi Product Management 

Message 102 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

48 hours and positive results. Required a second full factory reset after update, then everything started working well.

Will provide Netgear my officail detailed update on Sunday. Sorry, it will be private due to NDA.

Message 103 of 266
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

I think the fact that you can indicate positive results is a very big step forward.

Looking forward to seeing the details when they can be made public.

Many thanks for the update.

Message 104 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

Netgear,

I understand Netgear, but your response only further validates my previous posts. Yes, there are FAR TOO MANY wireless client devices vastly ranging with capability, compatibility, and other artifacts which can cause instability. Many of the problems can be identified with the end-user’s ability to have advanced control of their Orbi, giving that user the ability to find the one, or more, features that do not work with their devices. Information about the connected devices such as RSSI, MCS Rates and other data points can quickly identify what I client device is doing. What you have caused with your LOCKED-DOWN Orbi configuration is HOURS, DAYS, WEEKS, MONTHS of end-users trying to identify their problems using far more complicated methods, NOT REQUIRED by other Wireless router/AP OEMs. All we asked for was transparency and access to advanced settings which I can think of NO REASON why you would restrict this. If your argument is “simplicity, ease of use, etc”….Well, I think I am not alone with saying, you failed! And what is sad, you didn’t need to fail. You only needed to open up the platform a little so users could quickly identify their problems.

I understand that most users are not technical enough to understand RSSI, MCS Rates, and other data points and what the mean. Which is why they depend on technical support and friends and family who are technical, for HELP. But, how could I help them with your locked-down platform? I am VERY technical. I understand WIFI in-depth. But any technical person needs information and ability to change behavior settings of WIFI.

Again, I thank you for your attempts to make something great, I thank you for showing your response and attempts to heal this platform. I thank you for working with me, and others, who are SERIOUS about helping you remediate the Orbi problems. The beta code you allowed me access to is doing MUCH better than 1.9.x.

But please listen to us. 20 years I have been doing this I.T. crap here in Silicon Valley for small, mid, enterprise and government customers. I live about 30 minutes from where you all sit in Santa Clara. We all know there is no one solution to help everyone. Every technology product usually requires a little customization to make it play friendly in various environments. I know you know this, so why is Orbi so locked down?

Message 105 of 266
Ts937km
Apprentice

Just wanted to update as it's been a little while still on the current firmware. 

Still working great.   I have 30 devices on the wireless currently.   And Samsung wireless soundbar 950 and oled tv and a 4K bluray are the latest editions. 

Message 106 of 266
Configdisaster
Initiate

Hey everybody,

just bought the system on Friday.

I did buy very early that day though, and read up on the problems everybody is having during that day.

Oh boy...

So i was thinking all day about returning it before even trying.

Still I went home and made the setup. Took me 15 Minutes, FW update was what took the longest.

This means i have been running V1.9.1.12 since the start of this little advanture.

I was actually quite impressed...

Currently I am running a Fritzbox as Modem.

Connected to that I have a new Asus RT-AC88U as my main Router an upper Floor / attic  Wifi Host / Wired Land Controller.

I got the Orbi for downstairs / entrance / garage and garden Wifi because of the "stellar" reviews on snb forums and everywhere else.

Everything worked fine for I`d say about 24h.

this morning I came downstairs, Orbi Wifi was up, Sonos connected / Sonos controller on Ipad2 connected to the Orbi wifi and working but...

The Routernode was shining solid magenta.

Powercycling it a few times made it show up for a few minutes in my Asus overview of connected devices.

It got a dynamic IP, but the Router over the webGui was not accessible with its given IP. It was off its megenta-mode for a few minutes but went magenta again a few minutes later.

So after checking a few things i noticed my router (asus 88u) showing up in the "connected device list". Strange, never saw that before.

I clicked on the Icon for more info in the asus webgui and then I saw it was actually the Orbi Router which was showing up under the same IP as the asus router.

During all that the satelite node was perfectly fine, the orbi wifi was working, Internet was available, and the satelite nodes webgui was available as well.

The asus was still accessible under this mentioned ip, the orbi was not.

After that I did the following.

1. disconnected the Orbi System
  2. connected to the asus web gui.
  3. Set the asus base IP (192.168.1.1) to 192.168.1.2 since the Orbi Router Node seemed to force itself to 192.168.1.1 as well.
  4. Set the asus dhcp range to start from 192.168.1.5 instead of starting at 192.168.1.2.
  5. the asus automatically cleared and rebuilt its IP / DHCP tables after asking me If I wanted to do so.
  6. Connected the Orbi Node again.
  7. As I had hoped it got assigned its "standard" dynamic IP from the Asus Router.
  8. Now I was able to login to the Orbi Router WebGui.
  9. The Orbi was still in AP mode - good.
  10. The Orbi was still set to get a "dynamic IP" from the connected Router.
  11. I disbaled Beamforing an MU-MIMO.
  12. I went back to the asus Web Gui and assigend the MAC Adress of the Orbi Router node a fix IP opposed to assigning this task to the Orbi directly.

Now the Router is up an running again. Lets see for how long.

I can return it for 12 more days - If I get a Problem again i ll do that and set up another asus 88u downstairs with probably a bitt less coverage but around 200 Euros cheaper.

I can accept the fact of the asus stuff member saying that there are thousands of wifi enabled devices around. But its either there hardware failling or IOs devices having big problems. I am not reading about other problems, or am I missing it?

So my bet is on the Orbi system having a few severe problems.

We got 8 IOS devices here as well, several media players, sonos, TVs with netflix and/or amazon, NAS, streaming movies and music all over the place.

Sorry for the bad english and hijacking this thread. maybe someone else can work a bit with my infos.

Have a nice sunday everyone.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 107 of 266
mixolyd
Star

I've had the Orbi now for roughly 3 months. It was working fine with my wireless clients up until recently. Maybe the past 2-3 weeks. Sometimes websites just don't load or I get some weird DNS error. After a minute everything is fine. Most of my devices are connected to the satellite. Earlier today it was pretty bad and a reboot of the router fixed it. Really hope Netgear fixes stability for Orbi. I've been recommending it to family and friends because of the great performance, but stability is much more important than performance. 

I am going to try a factory reset to see if that helps. I'm on 1.9.1.12 btw

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 108 of 266
Cafetom
Star

Flash008, I too am testing the beta code.  

After you upgraded, you say that you did a factory reset.  Why did you factory reset?  Did you see any difference after the upgrade but before the factory reset?

I have done the upgrade but not the reset yet.  I have seen some different screens with different options, but no positive results.  So I am debating on a factory reset (although I wouldn't know why this should be needed).

Tom

Message 109 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

Per instructions, a factory reset was requested. I am testing the code per Netgear's instructions. As with many software/firmware upgrades with many OEMs, there are times where a significant change in code, commands and kernel changes require a factory reset to insure old config commands that are no longer valid will not create undesirable impact. Hence the reset to insure no lingering old code, commands, etc are interfering with a new API, kernel, etc.  I can say that the results were not positive after performing the first install, and factory reset. But I performed an additional factory reset and things have been much better, but not perfect. I sent my official response yesterday. Let's see what they do.

Message 110 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

I would recommend any Apple device users NOT UPDATE their software today, per Apple’s release today.

The last thing I want is Netgear claiming an Apple software update is causing problems with Orbi.

For those of you who might be afraid of the recent Ransomware hitting the planet, do what you feel is best for you. I, personally, I am not updating until Netgear tells me it will not interfere with their updates I, and a few others, are testing.

Message 111 of 266
Ts937km
Apprentice

ios 10.3.2 has at least 23 security fixes in it.  I've already update my ipads and iphone to it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207798

I'll let you know if there are any changes in my orbi system with the production firmware, or if it continues to function properly.

Message 112 of 266
fbraz50
Apprentice

I have kind of given up on my end. I bought a single UAP-AC-M from ubiquiti and so far so good. Coverage isn't as great but the performance has been very good thus far. I will be trying it for a few more days and then decide to keep it or not as these units can be used as wireless mesh AP's as well. If it works out I will likely get the unifi cloud key controller and maybe even the USG firewall from ubiquiti. The interface on this controller is actually very good. This AP/Controller/FW setup is cheaper then the pair of Orbi's.

Does it require more configuration? Yes, a lot more. Does it provide a whole system with amazing visibility? most definitely.

Message 113 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

I am with you and appreciate your decision to move on. I however, have reasons to give Netgear “a little more time”.

I am older, and slowly moving away from my hard-core geek days of running a datacenter in my home. As my life priorities have changed in the recent years I have no desire, nor time, to spend hours, days, maintaining a commercial grade “home” infrastructure.

In the past 2 years, I have moved towards Apple and other “less maintenance” products. Not to say they are BETTER, but not having my family and friends calling me every other day asking for help, I am enjoying a more simple product path that requires less involvement. Yes, Android, ASUS, DDWRT, Tomato, OpenRouters, etc. all offer great solutions, but are complex. When they work, they WORK WELL. But do require more up-keep.

My decision to retire my Cisco Aironet WIFI 5-6 years ago, moved to ASUS with some Merlin code…It was great. And the constant firmware releases and added features and abilities were AMAZING!

Netgear promised me a low maintenance WIFI solution that didn’t look like a science project (ASUS, LOL). That is why I got it, and it acted promising from Day-1. But now, Netgear has cost me far more time than my Cisco and ASUS ever did.

So I am with you. I pray I can stop monitoring and posting on this forum, SOON. I did not buy this Orbi so I could spend all this time dealing with it's problem.

Plus, my wife gets “upset” with me when I buy expensive tech stuff, then replace 3-6 months later. Somewhat prevents me from arguing her shopping habits when I drop $600 on Orbi, then replace it with something else months later…..So, I have personal motivations to make Orbi work. But time is running short. If this isn’t meeting my needs by June I will be moving to something else. It's summer time in the Cali Bay Area. The rain is gone! Time for the beach, time for some road trips to SoCal, time for some outside activities. And not parked in front of my computer typing replies to Netgear, and testing Beta code, and using my Android Galaxy and Macbook Pro WIFI-Analyzers to troubleshoot Orbi problem. Spending HOURS trying to understand why my IP Cameras were dropping every 30 seconds, but when i put them back on my ASUS...Problems GONE...Hours questioning is my SlingTV service having buffer problems, or is it an internal home WIFI problem (as my wife gives me that LOOK)...On work conference calls only to have my WIFI-Calling drop because my WIFI connection dropped.

My previous ASUS setup WORKED! I only required check-ins every 30-60 days for firmware updates and basic maintenance. What was also great was the ability to re-configure it when my client device list changed. I ran mixed for due to older B and G devices. But as I moved to N and AC only, I was able to reconfigure for it. When I noticed a device not happy, I could tweak and tune to find a config that worked best for it. And that is what Netgear Orbi doesn’t get. Even if they find a config that works for today, what happens in 6-12 months when customer device list change due to upgrades, or a customer moving, etc….

Given my tech background and deep understanding of the challenges and the time it takes to remediate…I am giving Netgear a chance.

Message 114 of 266
AMarket42
Star

I agree with everything you've written! Sadly, I've spent time wondering some of the very same issues, like Sling and my ESPN app, along with WiFi drops. Sadly, even if I decide to move on, I'm out $400 I won't ever recoup, as well as the countless hours I've spent on the phone with support, with others trying to get this products to work as they claimed and the cost of having new drops added to my house so I could move it around to different spots. I'm tired of disabling, enabling, turning down the power, moving them to 17 different locations, checking the forum, and on and on... I'm trying to remain patient, as I've owned it for about 3 months, but it's wearing me out. I'm hopeful that all this time, effort and money wont be a complete loss. Thanks for sharing!
Message 115 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

I was on a work conference call. Skype Internet Call, which seems to be more popular these days (internet calls) I was being asked a question. Then NOTHING. My call dropped, TV disconnected. Every client device I have dropped.

Orbi Router and Satellite show White light. Orbi Rebooted itself.

Checked Orbi logs, NOTHING. No reason!!!

Still running beta code.

Thanks, Orbi

Thanks, Netgear

Anyone here want to ask me how often my ASUS or Cisco AP devices randomly rebooted.

HINT: NEVER

Netgear, you do realize that in 2017 more, and more, services are running over the internet? TV, Telephone, Alarm System and pretty much everything else.

Our employers are having us leverage Skype and Webex using Internet IP Voice, instead of the analog bridge numbers. Netgear, are you aware of the current and coming trends.

Somewhat hard to live and work in 2017 with bad WIFI.

Message 116 of 266
fbraz50
Apprentice

Brother, move on. That's the best advice I can give you at this point.

The Ubiquiti Experiment on my end has been going well. I feel like I do need/want a second AP somewhere but we will see after a few more days.

Message 117 of 266
Flash008
Luminary

LOL

It's called denial, brother. Let me enjoy my denial a little while longer.

Smiley Sad

Message 118 of 266
JMU1998
Luminary

I tend to agree after so many rounds of Firmware still some of the basic stability issues still remain outstanding....hopefully one day!

Message 119 of 266
fbraz50
Apprentice

@Flash008 wrote:

LOL

It's called denial, brother. Let me enjoy my denial a little while longer.

Smiley Sad

I want them to work really bad too but I had to cut the ties. Even if I don't stick with the Ubiquiti setup I will not go back to the Orbi's. I will find something else.

Message 120 of 266
mixolyd
Star

@Flash008 wrote:

I was on a work conference call. Skype Internet Call, which seems to be more popular these days (internet calls) I was being asked a question. Then NOTHING. My call dropped, TV disconnected. Every client device I have dropped.

Orbi Router and Satellite show White light. Orbi Rebooted itself.

Checked Orbi logs, NOTHING. No reason!!!

Still running beta code.

Thanks, Orbi

Thanks, Netgear

Anyone here want to ask me how often my ASUS or Cisco AP devices randomly rebooted.

HINT: NEVER

Netgear, you do realize that in 2017 more, and more, services are running over the internet? TV, Telephone, Alarm System and pretty much everything else.

Our employers are having us leverage Skype and Webex using Internet IP Voice, instead of the analog bridge numbers. Netgear, are you aware of the current and coming trends.

Somewhat hard to live and work in 2017 with bad WIFI.

Wow that's really disappointing to read. I was hoping that the beta firmware fixed the issues 😕 

I am curious have you tried an earlier firmware? I swear my Orbi was much more stable 4-6 weeks ago. I may give that a try. 

Have you guys tried disconnecting the satellite and just using the router? I'm wondering if it's an issue of connectivitiy between satellite and router. I disconnected my satellite and the connection is a bit more stable. I still see unpingable events in Pingplotter but they are less than a minute vs. 2-5 minutes before. Still not fully stable though. 

Message 121 of 266
Cafetom
Star

Yes, I tried without the Satellite.  No joy.

Message 122 of 266
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The router has it's own disconnect issues, but there is definitely a major problem with the connection between router and satellite. If you watch the signal with a Wi-Fi analyzer app, you will probably see the backhaul signal (no SSID) constantly dropping, which takes out devices connected to the satellite with it.
Message 123 of 266

Frustrating that after all this time the reason to own a mesh router EXPLICIT BEAMFORMING is encouraged to be off for stability? This isn't a cheap option, and a fix has been promised all along. Disappointed would be a gross understatement at this point. Sadly beyond my return period, however thankfully work for a retailer who sells these so I can encourage customers to seek other routers that do work.
Message 124 of 266
JMU1998
Luminary

Hopefully this fix is in the Beta fw that some are helping Netgear Engineering test currently.

Message 125 of 266
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7