Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Updating a never before used Orbi Satalite RBS40 impossible?

_Asuri
Aspirant

Updating a never before used Orbi Satalite RBS40 impossible?

Ok, so here's a TL;DR version.

I've just come home from University and I've been using the RBR40 for a year. My room is only small so I never thought about using the satalite till I was about to return home and I assume the Satalite is on a VERY low firmware and the main router is on the latest. How do I update it?

Now the long version.

The router has been used nonstop for about a year and everything was going great. My plan was to use this router and satalite to boost the wifi in our house at home because it's very bad. ANYWAY, The router itself updates and I assume its on the latest one but the satalite has never been used before so I assume it's on the lowest firmware but I'm not 100%.

Anyway, My plan is to start using it over the router I was provided by my ISP but I can not connect to the satelite as it needs to be updated. Only problem is that the router config page, lists the satelite when connected via ethernet to the main router but it doesn't list the firmware version and the satelite doesnt appear on the manual update page either.

I assumed if I just plugged the satelite into my computer via ethernet I could access some sort of settings but that seems to be impossible.

Does anyone know of a way to update a satelite that can't be updated via the orbi access page?

Thank you.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Updating a never before used Orbi Satalite RBS40 impossible?

Yes, you can connect a wired PC to the back of the RBS and it will get an IP address. The IP address once it's ready should be 192.168.1.250 in a web page. Log in as admin and PW is password. Update the FW first to same version thats on RBR. Then get it synced to the RBR. 

Message 2 of 4
_Asuri
Aspirant

I've managed to update the satellite to version 1.12.0.20 but every time I select one of the 2.X firmwares, it says that the firmware isn't compatible.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

AH I should have mentioned, download RBS v2.0.0.74, then you can update directly to v2x on the RBS. 

@_Asuri wrote:

I've managed to update the satellite to version 1.12.0.20 but every time I select one of the 2.X firmwares, it says that the firmware isn't compatible.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7