Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading to WIFI AX

AKLGUY
Apprentice

Upgrading to WIFI AX

Hi Crew.

I currently have the RBK50 (WIFI 5 series) which does me great for the moment.

But I am upgrading all my Laptops and Tablets (already a few phones have WIFI 6) so thinking of the RBK752/RBK852 which will be perfect for the house. The one issue we have had for WIFI is our external garage we sometimes use for functions. Its a big tin style garage so WIFI is crap in there. We do have LAN going to it will be able to get the RBS350 just to tack in there?

Or would it be best to get the 3 Pack (RBK753/RBK853)?

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Upgrading to WIFI AX

@AKLGUY wrote:

We do have LAN going to it will be able to get the RBS350 just to tack in there?

Or would it be best to get the 3 Pack (RBK753/RBK853)?

This is an awkward question because it is not clear whether the RBS350 can integrate with the RBR750 or RBR850 Orbi AX routers over ethernet.  (It is abuntantly clear that the dual band RBS350 will not integrate with those AX routers over Wifi.)

Aside from that, this is a fairly straight-forward cost/benefit decision:

• Placing anything that is not an 'AX Orbi satellite' in the garage will result in not having a uniform WiFi6 mesh where WiFi6 devices roam seamlessly between systems.   So, for maximum performance, guaranteed compatibility, buying the larger AX package does it, but costs a lot more. But, do you care that a cell phone or laptop changes from a WiFi6 connection to a 802.11ac connection when in the garage? 
  • The existing RBS50 satellite will integrate with the AX router over ethernet.  If placed in the garage, the Orbi network will remain intact as far as roaming and single mesh goes, understanding that any device in the garage is going to have only 802.11ac (or ethernet) capability.  No WiFi6 in the garage, but also much less costly. (The RBS50 is already here.)
  • In addition, any WiFi access point (from any vendor) could be placed inside the garage to provide Wifi using an ethernet connection to the Orbi router.  Give it the same WiFi SSID/password as the Orbi, and when some device goes into the garage, it can connect to WiFi.  May be a bit awkward compared to the 'seamless mesh' of the Orbi, but could cost a lot less.
  • It is not clear to me that it is even possible to purchase one RBS350 satellite. rather than a package consisting of one RBR350 router and one RBS350 satellite.  While the concept of connecting the RBS350 over ethernet is intellectually stimulating, I am not confident that it is a practical question.

So, ask a simple yes/no question and get ..... what?

Message 2 of 5
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Thank you for that. That is what I assumed

I did read that the WIFI 5 series wont mesh/go well with the new WIFI 6 series and I did just want to put a cheaper WP down in the garage I might just get one from a different vender and cal it a different name. Keep with my Orbi for the house

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@AKLGUY wrote:

Thank you for that. That is what I assumed

I did read that the WIFI 5 series wont mesh/go well with the new WIFI 6 series and I did just want to put a cheaper WP down in the garage I might just get one from a different vender and cal it a different name. Keep with my Orbi for the house

My understanding is that ethernet connection for the Orbi WiFi 5 satellite works fine. WiFi 'backhaul' is not possible because they have different radio chips and WiFi 6 models use 802.11ax for the backhaul link.  I would first try the RBS50 with ethernet backhaul before looking at anything else.

Netgear pricing makes packages more attractive than individual purchases.  For example, Amazon has the RBK752 at $349US and the RBK753 at $452US.  That second satellite thus costs $103.  Buying one RBS750 satellite is $229US. So, the package saves $103 over buying a two pack and adding the satellite later.  (The package savings is not as great for the 850 product.)

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can connect RBS AC to Orbi AX via Ethernet only. Not compatible via wireless. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7