Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use TWO Orbi RBR50 Routers ?

Ockham
Aspirant

Use TWO Orbi RBR50 Routers ?

I have a 5000 SF colonial and I'm trying to get good coverage in the basement 1st, and 2nd floors.  Unfortunately, I have the main TV room in one corner of the 1st floor, the kid's TV room on the opposite corner second floor, and an office in the basement.  Here is my current setup:

1x RBR50 Router on the 1st floor corner TV room,

1x RBS50 Satellite on the 1st floor opposite corner

This gives me great wifi coverage throughout the 1st floor and on my outside patio, good-fair coverage on my second floor, poor coverage on my basement.  The basement office is especially problematic.  My mechanical room right under my 1st floor TV room so there is a lot of interference to the office.

My goal is to get good coverage in my basement, which drops out frequently, and improve coverage in the kid's TV room, which drops out occasionally.

I purchased another RBK50 package rather than just the satellite because the price difference was marginal.  

I planned on putting the second RBS50 satellite in the upstairs kid's TV room to get better coverage there. I then plan on dropping ethernet into my basement and putting the second RBR50 router there and running it in AP mode.  See the attached file for a before/after schematic.

It's the second router that has me concerned and confused.  I had thought that putting it in AP mode essentially made it act like sudo-satellite or extender where it would rebroadcast the main router.  However, based on what I am reading that seems like it may not be the case.  

Can someone clarify if what I am trying to do is possible?  Is there another way to use the Router or should I eBay it and pick up another satellite?  Any alternate suggestions on equipment?  

Any clarification and insight is much appreciated!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Use TWO Orbi RBR50 Routers ?

No, the RBR can't work like a RBS. IT's either router mode or AP mode in which you could use it as a 2ndary AP thats would need to be LAN connected to the main RBR. This however may cause problematic wifi interferences. Channels would need to be far appart on 2.4 and 5Ghz between the two RBRs. I would not recommend this. 

What is the distance between the base router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

I have a 5000sq ft home with the base router on 2nd level and just 1 RBS on the main level at the oppostite end of the house 40 feet away. No problems and great coverage.  

Message 2 of 4
Ockham
Aspirant

Thanks - I was suspecting that.  

I had initially tried the satellite on the second floor but there was too many walls/stairs in-between to maintain a reliable signal to the router.  Placing it on the 1st floor about 40 feet away has given my the most balanced results for most of the house.

Again, the main issue is the basement office where service is poor plus the second floor TV room where it could be better.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be good with the RBR and two RBS's 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements