Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using ORBI with Nighthawk router

slapshot2213
Aspirant

Using ORBI with Nighthawk router

I have an ORBI RBR850 and RBR50 in AP mode. I'm doing this because I need 2 Outdoor satellites to reach further on a 2+ acre site. Total of 6 satellites in use.  I'd like to add a separate system for a new barn and share ONLY internet access. The SSIDs would be different. Can I use a Nighthawk Router and use wired Ethernet from an ORBI satellite to the WAN input of a router?   

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Using ORBI with Nighthawk router

If your leaving the Orbi system in AP mode then yes, can be connected to a NH router thats in router mode. I'd disable the wifi radios on the NH router. 

Message 2 of 7
slapshot2213
Aspirant

The RBR850 is the main router. It is connected to my Internet provider. The RBR50 is in AP mode and Ethernet connected to an RBR850 port. I need to utilize wifi on the NH router because there are a multitude of IoT devices in the barn. Thoughts? Thanks!!

Message 3 of 7
Lauren69
Aspirant

What you could do is have the Nighthawk and Orbi swap roles. That is, set up the Nighthawk as an AP and have the Orbi function as the main router. You will, of course, lose the extra functionality in the Nighthawk, but if you aren't using them, then there is no loss.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What's the size of this home? 

Having too much wifi may also be problematic.

@slapshot2213 wrote:

The RBR850 is the main router. It is connected to my Internet provider. The RBR50 is in AP mode and Ethernet connected to an RBR850 port. I need to utilize wifi on the NH router because there are a multitude of IoT devices in the barn. Thoughts? Thanks!!

Message 5 of 7
slapshot2213
Aspirant

The house is only about 2500 sq/ft, 2 story, but the area I need to cover is about 2 acres. My ISP connection is on the 2nd floor. The barn (metal bldg) I need to reach is about 150 feet from the router and 110 ft from an existing RBS50Y. Thanks....

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I see two separate issues:

• Extending service to a metal barn over 100 ft. from the house.
  • Sharing "only internet access" to the barn.

Metal buildings are difficult in terms of WiFi, unless the WiFi access point can be mounted on the exterior or in a window.  Metal blocks WiFi signals and over that distance a typical WiFi signal will be dramatically lower to begin with.  The typical solutions to this are:

• #1 - Install an Ethernet cable. This provides full duplex gigabit capacity, but may be impractical to install.  (It's not the cost of the cable, but the installation can be physically challenging and expensive.)
    Connect a switch, WiFi access point, or router to this cable.
  • #2 - Use a WiFi point to point bridge. Costing under $150, these units concentrate the WiFi signal in a narrow beam which provides higher signal strength.  They are rated in terms of kilometers.  Often one unit can be mounted inside the house, which removes the cost of penetrating the building wall.  The far end will  probably need to be mounted on the outside of the barn.  The Ethernet cable from the barn unit goes inside and then anything can be connected to it.

"Only internet access" is more of an issue.  Orbi residential products are not designed to create separate LANs.  If the only connections in the barn are WiFi, then an 850 satellite located in the barn could be used to connect those devices to the guest WiFi network, which means they have no access to the primary network.  But, nothing in the barn can be connected using Ethernet, which be definition is on the primary network.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7