Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using a seconf RBK50 router as an access point

Weshen
Follower

Using a seconf RBK50 router as an access point

I purchased a second RBK50 router and satellite to add to my existing set.  I want to use one Orbi as a router anf the second router as an access point, plus the 2 satellites.  I have the second router set to AP mode but when I look in the attached devices list it is not showing the Orbi router in AP mode and I dont think the wirless is active/working on this unit.  Is there a recommended setup for using a second Orbi router as an AP?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Using a seconf RBK50 router as an access point

@Weshen wrote:

Is there a recommended setup for using a second Orbi router as an AP?

A second Orbi router can only be connected using the ethernet WAN port. (I have one connected that way right now.)  It can be in router mode or access point mode. (Mine is in router mode.)  The difference is:

• If it is in router mode, it will create a new IP subnet on the LAN side of the new router.
    My primary Orbi router created 192.168.1.x as its LAN side.
    The secondary Orbi created 10.0.0.x as its LAN side.
  • If it is in access point (AP) mode, it will not create a new IP subnet and it will not assign DHCP addresses, so all devices will get IP addresses from the primary Orbi router.

HOWEVER, the WiFi network created by this second Orbi router will be entirely separate from the WiFi network of the primary router.

Mine has a different WiFi SSID/password because I am using it as a test network.  Even if this second Orbi router WiFi has the same (exact) SSID/password as the primary Orbi, it is still a different WiFi network.  WiFi devices will  not "roam" from one to the other.

So, (1) must have ethernet connection to the WAN port, and (2) separate WiFi network.

In other words, for most people this is not a useful thing to do.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7