Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using an Ethernet Unmanaged Switch with Orbi RBR50?

frocha
Aspirant

Using an Ethernet Unmanaged Switch with Orbi RBR50?

I want to update my cable modem from Spectrum to 400Mbps.  Problem is, the modem required to upgrade to this speed only has a single ethernet connection.  I need 5 connections and the Orbi base unit only has 3. (I currently have 3 connections into the Orbi and an additional 2 directly into my existing cable modem.) . Question .... can I uses something like a Netgear 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch like the GS105NA to expand my ethernet connections on the Orbi base?  

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Using an Ethernet Unmanaged Switch with Orbi RBR50?

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Yes, you can.

Message 2 of 5
frocha
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses!!!!  One last question, does it make more sense to A) Plug the ethernet switch into the modem and plug the Orbi into the switch?  or B) Plug the Orbi into the modem and plug the switch into the Orbi?  Again, the modem I am looking at from Spectrum Cable only has a single ethernet connection.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@frocha wrote:

Thanks for the responses!!!!  One last question, does it make more sense to A) Plug the ethernet switch into the modem and plug the Orbi into the switch?  or B) Plug the Orbi into the modem and plug the switch into the Orbi?  Again, the modem I am looking at from Spectrum Cable only has a single ethernet connection.

The modem will provide you with only one IP address (if it's a modem and not a router) so you will not be able to connect a switch to it.

You have to go for your option B) that is to plug the Orbi into the modem and plug the switch into the Orbi. I assume here that Orbi is in Router Mode.

Message 4 of 5
randomousity
Luminary

It's not a given that the ISP will only provide you with one IP, as I have seen setups where the ISP has assigned multiple public IPs to a connection, but it's uncertain whether your ISP, in your area, will allow a given connection more than one public IP address, so the safest route is definitely the latter one, connecting the Orbi to the modem, and then the switch to the Orbi. That should definitely work, whereas the former only may work, depending on how the ISP handles it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7