Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using another Orbi Router as a Satellite

Slam4Hew
Aspirant

Using another Orbi Router as a Satellite

So, this is probably a stupid question, but I am in need of another satellite ASAP to extend the range in my home with the Orbi system (we have a ranch style house with a secondary garage that also needs internet access), so I am wondering if it is possible to just buy another router and use it as a satellite instead?

They appear to be the same price online, and our local store only sells the router seperately, not the satellite.

Thanks for your help!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

Re: Using another Orbi Router as a Satellite

@Slam4Hew wrote:

, so I am wondering if it is possible to just buy another router and use it as a satellite instead?

let me expand on my last post and explain why the router cant act as a sat

the router is the base station it sets the wpa2 passphrase and username for the backhaul connection , the sta,s connect via wps to this username and password , the router its self is not setup to connect this way

the sat's will become available soon but if you cant wait you will have to buy a whole orbi system and just use the sat with your current orbi system

you would also need to look at placement as the router would need to be in the middle of the 2 sats as the sats dont use mesh type connection and both sats only connect back to the router   eg    sat -------- orbi router --------sat

it cant do sat --------  sat -------- orbi router

pete

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies

hi

no you cant use a router as a sat as far as i know

Message 2 of 7
benbac
Tutor

I have a similar concern and I wonder if setting up the Orbi Router as an Access Point can do the same thing or would it mean you would need to hard wire the AP to the Sattelite?

Page 72 of the Orbi documentation user manual indicates that you can use the router as an access point.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 11.37.14 AM.png

Message 3 of 7

@benbac wrote:

I have a similar concern and I wonder if setting up the Orbi Router as an Access Point can do the same thing or would it mean you would need to hard wire the AP to the Sattelite?

selecting ap mode just bypasses the router function on the orbi , other than that the two devices work the same

Message 4 of 7

@Slam4Hew wrote:

, so I am wondering if it is possible to just buy another router and use it as a satellite instead?

let me expand on my last post and explain why the router cant act as a sat

the router is the base station it sets the wpa2 passphrase and username for the backhaul connection , the sta,s connect via wps to this username and password , the router its self is not setup to connect this way

the sat's will become available soon but if you cant wait you will have to buy a whole orbi system and just use the sat with your current orbi system

you would also need to look at placement as the router would need to be in the middle of the 2 sats as the sats dont use mesh type connection and both sats only connect back to the router   eg    sat -------- orbi router --------sat

it cant do sat --------  sat -------- orbi router

pete

Message 5 of 7
Slam4Hew
Aspirant

Thanks Pete. Understand completely. I've ordered a sat. As a stand-alone the orbi sat is on pre-order. I don't think anyone has them yet.

Message 6 of 7

@Slam4Hew wrote:

Thanks Pete. Understand completely. I've ordered a sat. As a stand-alone the orbi sat is on pre-order. I don't think anyone has them yet.

i do 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7