Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using "locking" bracket for Orbi Outdoor Satellite -- HELP!!

rsleonard
Tutor

Using "locking" bracket for Orbi Outdoor Satellite -- HELP!!

I recently purchased an Orbi RBS50Y. We've had an Orbi Router plus two Orbi Satellites for about a year, and they have worked well. But whoever engineered the mounting system for the RBS50Y needs to go back to school, unless I'm really missing something..

I cannot install the locking bracket on top of the mounting bracket and have it both lock AND screw into the holes on the mounting bracket. Has anybody else tried to do this and had any success or are there alternatives that somebody man suggest? Thank you in advance.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 14
Mstrbig
Master

When I install them I just follow these instructions: Note: The screws must be flush with the lock.

To mount and lock your Orbi Outdoor satellite to the wall-mount bracket:

1. Use the wall-mount bracket as a template to mark three holes on the wall.
  2. Drill holes where you marked on the wall using a 5/32-inch drill bit.
  3. Place the wall-mount bracket where you drilled the holes and secure the bracket to the wall using the stucco or concrete screws or the wood screws.
  4. Slide the Orbi satellite onto the wall-mount bracket.
  5. Insert the Phillips screws or torx screws that came with your package into the wall-mount bracket lock.
    The screws must be flush with the lock.
  6. Place the lock on top of the wall-mount bracket.
  7. Tighten the screws to secure the lock to the bracket.
Message 2 of 14
schumaku
Guru

The lock can't slide over the mount so the screw holes allign (red lines)?

RBS50Y wall mount lock.PNG

Message 3 of 14
rsleonard
Tutor

SERIOUSLY? THAT IS THE SAME ILLUSTRATION THAT CAME IN THE BOX.

Thanks for your help. Not.

Message 4 of 14
rsleonard
Tutor

I did exactly what you suggested. The screws in the locking bracket are approximately 1/4" above the location of holes in the wall mounted bracket, making ithe locking bracket entirely useless.

Your support department's answer...SEND BACK TO AMAZON. Instead of sending me brackets that work. What kind of support is that.

Message 5 of 14
Mstrbig
Master

Is, by any chance the bracket is warped because of where it was mounted? We had a problem mounting on a Spanish stucco wall. Ended up having to shim it to keep it straight.

Message 6 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@rsleonard wrote:

1. This is a customer community.
  2. I'm neither Netgear nor Netgear support.
  3. I have just asked a question to clarify.
  4. Shouting is so hmmmmm....

No, the one in the box does not have the red lines ...

Message 7 of 14
Mstrbig
Master

@schumaku wrote:

@rsleonard wrote:

1. This is a customer community.
  2. I'm neither Netgear nor Netgear support.
  3. I have just asked a question to clarify.
  4. Shouting is so hmmmmm....

No, the one in the box does not have the red lines ...

I find some users asking for help can get a little testy. They forget we are just trying to help them resolve THEIR problem. I myself appreciate any and all input, even if wrong, as it sometimes jars the brain into looking at the cable laying on the floor that should be plugged in. Smiley WinkSmiley LOL

Message 8 of 14
rsleonard
Tutor

Sorry for the angry response. It is a result of an absolutely infuriating experience with so-called customer service, who -- despite being the Orbi department, were entirely unaware of the product or the installation process. I appreciate your trying to help. 

Maybe you can tell me how to "slide the bracket" onto the mounting when it is already mounted to a wall with 1/4" space between the wall and the device. It just doesn't work, and it's incredibly poorly engineered.

Seriously, thank you for your effort.

Message 9 of 14
PhiTauBill
Aspirant

I had the same exact infuriating experience with installing the locking bracket.  The only way it is going to work for me is to install a shim between the mounting bracket and the surface behind it.  I may 3D print the shim out of plastic or just cut a small, thin piece of wood to accomplish the same goal with less work.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 10 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@PhiTauBill wrote:

The only way it is going to work for me is to install a shim between the mounting bracket and the surface behind it. 

So this is just adding more distance between the surface (e.g. wall), isn't it? I stll fail to understand the effective installation problem - do you need more space for the two screws or the screwdriver required for the lock from the left and the right side?

Message 11 of 14
PhiTauBill
Aspirant

Yes, it is just adding space as the lock won't drop down far enough to line up with the pre-drilled holes enough without that additional space.  It is a design flaw, plain and simple.  I don't know how it left the engineering department in that fashion.  I spent 1 hour removing and placing the Orbi on the mount and trying to finagle the lock down before I concluded it was technically impossible without more space.  Once I cut the shim, I'll try to take before and after pictures to illustrate the issue in more detail.

@schumaku wrote:

@PhiTauBill wrote:

The only way it is going to work for me is to install a shim between the mounting bracket and the surface behind it. 

So this is just adding more distance between the surface (e.g. wall), isn't it? I stll fail to understand the effective installation problem - do you need more space for the two screws or the screwdriver required for the lock from the left and the right side?

Message 12 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Adding a spacer will allow some room where the locking bracket would scratch along the wall while sliding down I guess - where marked yellow:

Orbi wall mount friction.PNG

Looks like Netgear engineering does have properly 100% flat and smooth walls, or does not press the mounting plate to the wall by not applying full torque on the screws.

Message 13 of 14
PhiTauBill
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Adding a spacer will allow some room where the locking bracket would scratch along the wall while sliding down I guess - where marked yellow:

Orbi wall mount friction.PNG

Looks like Netgear engineering does have properly 100% flat and smooth walls, or does not press the mounting plate to the wall by not applying full torque on the screws.

So I finally got around to making the shim on my 3D printer and installing it behind the mount.  I must confess that the "wings" on the side of the wall mount had made impressions into the cedar wood to which the unit was mounted.  So, as a technical matter, the mount would likely work as designed if attached to a metal or hardwood surface.  Because the back of the mount is not completely flat, however, I think this is likely all too common an occurence that torquing the screws is making the lock all but impossible to install without using a shim.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7