Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using two Netgear Orbi AC3000 RBS50Y to increase coverage range

rdilauro
Aspirant

Using two Netgear Orbi AC3000 RBS50Y to increase coverage range

We currently have on Netgear RBS50Y to extend our WiFi range from a main building down to the Lake front.  Its about 750 yards.  Down there I have 8 ARLO cameras connected to the same ARLO Base with is connected to this extender.

My question is Can I get another RBS50Y to increase the coverage?

If I were to use two of these extenders, how would I configure them?  One to my main router and then the second to the first extender?

Is there a better Netgear product (within the same price range $375) that can give me increased coverage?

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: Using two Netgear Orbi AC3000 RBS50Y to increase coverage range

its 750 yards away? (2,250 feet?)

If so, you should use a point to point system like netgear airbridge to get a connection to the lake front and then setup an satellite (the rbs50Y doesn't have an ethernet port so you'd need something like the standard rbs50 with one). From there you could use the 2x rbs50y. 

I'm impressed you made it that far and it actually works. 

Message 2 of 14
rdilauro
Aspirant

Yes, the ARLO folks are also quite amazed.  But my error it was 750 feet from the WiFi extender to the first camera.  But then going South and North its 300 feet in both directions.

Now, regarding the Wireless AirBridge.  I manage 23 ARLO cameras in our Lake Community which includes a Golf Course, Tennis Courts, Ballfield, Maint Shed and our Club house.

I utilize from the Golf shed,  Ubiquiti NanoBeam AC Point to Multipoint access.   One Beam sends to another area with receives it with a Modem/Router and then that sends a Beam to another location which receives it. There I have a  Frontier AIRTIES 4920 Router which then connects to our ARLO base for the cameras.  Each location is about 300 feet apart.

Back to the AirBridge,  I was using a JooWin CFW-E72 antenna in AP or Repeater mode.  Reading the documentation about AirBridge they do seem similar.   I never was able to get a solid stable connection using the JooWin.  The POE Lan/Wan just never stayed connected.  

I could try the JooWin down at the lake as long as you are saying the Netgear Airbridge is essential the same type of device.  But the JooWin does require a cable coming in from one of those NanoBeams.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

I couldn't find the joowin devices but the Nanobeams are the same basic air bridge setup. 

So for far distances, you want a point to point devices. For the close setup, thats where you want the AP's. 

The arlo's usually run off their own hub (not all of them). Sounds like you have quite a few different vendors in your setup. 

If it was me? I'd be looking at finding a single vendor and sticking with their solution so they integrate together better. I'm usually very pro-netgear but Ubiquity (your nanobeam) makes great stuff and does a really good job of integrating their various technologies into one solution. 

Message 4 of 14
rdilauro
Aspirant

I am also a big Netgear fan. Ive been using them at home for over 15 years

Does the Netgear air bridge as dies the NamoBeams? I then assume I need a PoE switch connected to AC. ALL THE PoE switches U am aware of are fir Indoor use only. Can I use the Airbrudge just pointing to the Netgear wifi extender? And would I need any cables?
Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

The airbridge is a point point system. It needs a master and receiver in point to point mode. It has an access point mode but it doesn't broadcast as far. You can run it over poe or with a power supply. 

Message 6 of 14
rdilauro
Aspirant

I was told by the BestBuy Geek Squad that I could use two

Netgear Orbi Outdoor AC3000 RBS50Y, both connected wirelessly to the same Router.

One is currently connected, and they told me to wirelessly connect it to the same Router, then relocate the Wifi Extender

down to the lakefront, plug it in, no cables and I should get better wifi coverage.

Most other suggestions (including the one above) go for devices such as the Netgear Airbridge.  I already have a JooWin CFW-E72 which also uses a PoE switch.   But where I would put this device is outdoors and from what I ready, the PoE are not meant for outdoor usage.   Plus, I would have no way to connect any cables.

What I am looking for (and hoping that a Netgear product would do this ) is to point my Orbi AC3000 down to the lake and have a device (ie Netgear Airbridge) that wirelessly picks up the signal and then extends it through the lake area.

Is there a way I can accomplish this?

I atttached a crude diagram of our setup.   What I need is a device down at the Lake front that can pick up the signal from

the Wi-Fi extender and the main house and then increase the wi-fi coverage down the beach

Message 7 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

IMO the key point is whether there is electrical supply down at the lake.  No electricity means no equipment (from any vendor).

In my wildest dreams I would never have imagined that those ARLO cameras would connect from 750 ft. away.

Message 8 of 14
rdilauro
Aspirant

I have AC power, but no PoEo orc cabpe (ethenert) hookup

Message 9 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

There is electricity at the lake. 20 of 23 cameras are connected using Ubiquiti Nanobeam.  I would be looking at another Nanobeam for the last three cameras.

Message 10 of 14
rdilauro
Aspirant

Down at the lake with your NanoBeam receiver, I assume you have a PoE connector and cables.  On land where we use a series of NanoBeams, the last one in line connects to a PoE and from there goes to our Router via cable.

How is your NanoBeam setup down at the lake?

Message 11 of 14
rdilauro
Aspirant

We have decided to go with 2 Netgear Orbi AC3000 extenders.  One is already in place at the club house.  I will connect the second one and bring it down to the lake front.

Question, since this is an outdoor piece of equipment, will I need a plastic enclosure to protect it from the elements?

Some say yes, others say it is not necessary, but I was hoping Netgear folks can answer this one.

Message 12 of 14
plemans
Guru

Sadly it is a yes, no.

I've never had an issue with  mine but I've seen a few posts from users that got moisture in theirs. 

I think a lot depends on the environment you're in. I bring mine in during the winters in MN because it isn't rated to that cold of temps. If you're in an area or place it in a spot where it gets to hot, its going to expand from the heat out of spec and then you'll get gaps/moisture. 

Message 13 of 14
rdilauro
Aspirant

SemiDumb question.

I have the Netgear ORBI App on my Iphone.  When the new Orbi comes in, the app scans for any existing Orbi.  Is there an option to ADD a new one?

Now the dumb question.  I have a Netgear userid password (how I get to the product page), Is there a separate Netgear Orbi userid password do I need?

I have the Netgear support userid/password,  Netgear Community userid/password

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7