Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VERIZON FIOS AND ORBI RBK System - Not working after Verizon update to SON

MYR1
Aspirant

VERIZON FIOS AND ORBI RBK System - Not working after Verizon update to SON

Hoping someone can help... ever since Verizon pushed through a software upgrade (SON activation), my Orbi router and satellites no longer work.  Verizon requires you to use Orbi in AP mode, so not sure why this would affect the connection since we weren't using the modem to broadcast WiFi in the first place.

I've factory resent the Orbi router and satellites, as well as done a factory reset on the Verizon router (Fios Gateway).  Orbi network doesn't show up on list of available WiFi networks, so I can't even set it up using the app.  Strangely, the satellite's WiFi shows up briefly, but then drops out.

The only thing I've noticed is that Access Point Steering on the Verizon router is disabled (though I can't find a way to enable it via internet interface or Fios app).  

Anybody have any ideas?  

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: VERIZON FIOS AND ORBI RBK System - Not working after Verizon update to SON

A "factory reset" does several things:

• Resets the WiFi name (SSID) and password to what is printed on the product label.
  • Resets the administrative login to "admin" and "password"
  • Puts the Orbi in "router" mode, not Access Point (AP) mode.

Before this Verizon update, had you changed the Orbi WiFi name from the name that is printed on the label?

(I certainly did.  I changed it to match the WiFi router that I was replacing so that my devices did not have to be reconfigured.)

Message 2 of 6
MYR1
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

A "factory reset" does several things:

• Resets the WiFi name (SSID) and password to what is printed on the product label.
  • Resets the administrative login to "admin" and "password"
  • Puts the Orbi in "router" mode, not Access Point (AP) mode.

Before this Verizon update, had you changed the Orbi WiFi name from the name that is printed on the label?

(I certainly did.  I changed it to match the WiFi router that I was replacing so that my devices did not have to be reconfigured.)

I did change it, but now that I've done a factory reset on both the source router and the Orbi.  Previous to the update, all was working seamlessly.  I just can't get the Orbi network up so that I can complete a new set up (ie, put the Orbi into AP mode).

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi does not have to be connected to the modem to turn on and configure. If you power up the router, not connected to the modem, the WiFi name on the label does not appear?
Message 4 of 6
MYR1
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:
The Orbi does not have to be connected to the modem to turn on and configure. If you power up the router, not connected to the modem, the WiFi name on the label does not appear?

Really?  Well, no, it still doesn't appear.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Since it is hard to believe that the Orbi somehow "died" just because there was a change in modem, it may be time to give the factory reset another shot.  Get out the paperclip.  Stick into the tiny reset hole next to the power plug.  Feel it "click" like a very tiny microswitch has been pressed.  Hold it in until the power LED turns from green to amber and then begins to flash amber.  This can take 15-20 seconds.  After it has begun flashing amber, remove the paperclip.

I do not remember how long it takes for the Orbi to "boot up".  Please observe and record the "ring light" at the top of the Orbi.  Here is what the ring light is supposed to do:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7